DIFx Driver Install for Non-WHQL Drivers

Got a problem you cannot solve? Try here.
DaveL

DIFx Driver Install for Non-WHQL Drivers

Postby DaveL » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:55 pm

I have found that using the built-in DIFx Driver Install plug-in (under WinXP) does not work for drivers which have not been WHQL certified. Calling DPInst.exe directly was working fine (as has been reported in the past in other posts), so I set out investigating the problem...

It appears that the DIFx plug-in always calls DPInst.exe with the "/S" command-line switch for silent installation. In my testing, I found that attempting to silently install non-WHQL drivers under XP will fail presumably because XP must be able to prompt the user that the drivers are not certified. (Note: I did not test under Vista because if it wasn't working on XP then I didn't care about Vista--and my understanding is that XP is a little pickier about WHQL than Vista or later versions of Windows.)

Ideally, there should be a way to have the DIFx plug-in omit the "/S" switch and, instead, use the "/SW" switch (suppress wizard) and, maybe optionally, the "/SE" switch (suppress EULA). This, IMO, is just as "silent" as using the "/S" switch (at least for my driver packages), but allows the OS to pop up mandatory prompts.

In the meantime, as initially implied, the workaround is to call DPInst.exe directly with the correct command-line switches. As a side note, it seems that drivers can be built under the newer Microsoft Driver Framework in such a way that XP will not require a pop-up message--I have no citation for this hearsay and, anyway, it may not be a desirable solution for existing drivers that otherwise work fine.

MichaelNesmith

Postby MichaelNesmith » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:46 pm

Thanks for making this contribution! I will pass this on to R&D so they can fix this behavior.
Michael Nesmith
InstallAware
Home of The Next Generation MSI Installer
Get your free copy today - http://www.installaware.com/

MichaelNesmith

Postby MichaelNesmith » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:49 pm

Please contact me privately with your email address so I can send you a custom build with these features direct from R&D.
Michael Nesmith

InstallAware

Home of The Next Generation MSI Installer

Get your free copy today - http://www.installaware.com/

MatthewFinch

Re: DIFx Driver Install for Non-WHQL Drivers

Postby MatthewFinch » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:49 am

I had a same issue with installing on XP. I found that I had to add legacymode to the dpinst.xml for it to show the driver licensing window...something like below

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<dpInst>
<suppressWizard/>
<quietInstallStrict/>
<forceIfDriverIsNotBetter/>
<legacyMode/>
</dpInst>

Without legacy mode with Non-WHQL drivers then it installs fine on all OS apart from XP where it throws up issue that cannot install unsigned drivers as seen in DPInst.log file in C:\windows\. I believe this flag setting is redundant for vista/win7 as you cannot add unsigned drivers without user approval. So without the legacymode flag on then win2K/xp dpinst would believe that drivers are signed and try and install and raise unsigned error. On vista/win7, the error would not occur as always requires user interaction....I think...well it worked anyway!

giaviv

Re: DIFx Driver Install for Non-WHQL Drivers

Postby giaviv » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:30 am

Dear MatthewFinch,

Thank you for your comments! Hopefully this will be helpful for future reference.
Aviv Giladi
InstallAware Software

White Papers (HowTos) - http://www.installaware.com/publication ... papers.htm
Product Guides - http://www.installaware.com/publication ... guides.htm
InstallAware Help -F1 anywhere in the InstallAware IDE

Return to “Technical Support”