If you follow the patch guidelines, you should of course produce your patch-setup.
Anyway, I will summarize the critical points:
- Develop and create your first version setup project, say Ver1, with all the files and settings that you may need.
- Build your setup to produce your setup.exe (I am assuming that you are developing a single exe file setup). Wait untill done.
- Copy your project folder (ver1) to another folder (ver2) ( this to simplify how to patch). Now you should have two projects in two folders (ver1 and ver2) and that are completely identical.
- Open project in ver2 folder and make all the changes you need, such adding file, replacing a file already present and other, but do not change build output file name (if any), project version, product codes and project name.
- In project2 add, in the "Design View Patch window", the previous builded exe setup file for the previous version. In our case will be only one and it is the single file exe in the "..\Project1\Release\Single" folder. Obviously, here you will add any other setup for previous version to patch, if any. But for this example it is just one.
- Build your setup for Project2 to produce your Ver2 setup.exe. Wait untill done.
- Now go again to "Design View Patch window" for project project2, and press the Build Patch button. when finished you will find in your Ver2 folder under the subfolder Patch, your new patch exe.
RUN THE PATCH AND TEST IT!
Hope this helps you.