Runtime error installing Installaware: UPDATE_CONFIGURED

Got a problem you cannot solve? Try here.
MrTom

Runtime error installing Installaware: UPDATE_CONFIGURED

Postby MrTom » Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:49 pm

Hi, have just downloaded and tried to install Installaware for the first time. Had initial problems thrown by network / antivirus software, but now no combination of uninstall / reinstall gets past this problem.

Error thrown is: Runtime error in setup script: Line 17: Attempting to get the value of undefined variable UPDATE_CONFIGURED. This is shown in a small message box with no other info. Title bar of the dialog says "Installaware6 - Installaware Wizard".

Sequence I run through is: I start the installer, get prompted for the password, it does the verify, then gives me the Installaware splash screen, then throws the error.

Obviously something is not cleaned up, but I have no idea what. Can anyone help?

MichaelNesmith

Postby MichaelNesmith » Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:49 am

What are you referring to by clean-up? If your AV selectively deleted files and left others, this could be occuring.

Find and nuke the folder containing myahe.dat.
Michael Nesmith
InstallAware
Home of The Next Generation MSI Installer
Get your free copy today - http://www.installaware.com/

MrTom

Postby MrTom » Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:46 am

Thanks Michael,

I am pretty confident that my av software was the probable culprit, it obviously screwed the install process badly.

The end result must be that there were some temp files left in place or registry settings that are preventing a subsequent install from working.

By "Clean Up" I meant remove whatever temp files or settings were still there.

I found the myahe.dat file you suggested and deleted the whole folder, however I still get the problem. There must still be some other residue from the first install that's preventing me from going on.

Any other suggestions most welcome.

Thanks,
Tom

BeyondMK

Same Problem

Postby BeyondMK » Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:35 pm

Hi.

I seem to have the same problem as Mr. Tom, but with one difference.

Yesterday, I downloaded and installed Version 6.1 without errors, but as I tried to remove it today, it shows exactly the same errors:

Runtime error in setup script:
Line 17.....and so on.

I deactivated my virus scanner, cleaned my temp-files and also searched for the "myahe.dat) (which wasn't found)....no effect at all.

What should I try next?

Thanks in advance.
Michael Kral

MichaelNesmith

Postby MichaelNesmith » Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:00 am

If you've installed the product, myahe.dat will always exist. Try searching from the command line, as Explorer's search can be a bit flaky at times.
Michael Nesmith

InstallAware

BeyondMK

Problem solved!

Postby BeyondMK » Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:15 am

Thanks Michael.

I did a search from the command line like "dir c:\\ /s" and discovered some more versions of "myahe.dat". After erasing all versions the deinstallation was possible.

Greetings from Germany and "Merry Christmas" to the whole InstallAware-Team.

Michael Kral

MrTom

Postby MrTom » Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:43 pm

Shame, doesnt work for me.

I have no myahe.dat anywhere on my disk. Still get the error. Perhaps the install for Installaware itself puts things somewhere else?

Tom

MichaelNesmith

Postby MichaelNesmith » Sun Dec 31, 2006 8:21 am

How did you search for the file?
Michael Nesmith

InstallAware

MrTom

Postby MrTom » Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:52 pm

I tried my favourite disk search utility (AgentRansack), and also a dos prompt dir c:\\ /s | find "myahe.dat"

I also looked for just myahe (any extension) and found a couple with .msi and .exe, and deleted the folders they were in (mia1, mia2, miac37) as well.

Error still remains.

Is there no switch or other way I can tell the install to ignore whatever it thinks is there and just do a clean install?

MichaelNesmith

Postby MichaelNesmith » Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:41 pm

Sadly, its hard to tell what's going wrong here without knowing which files of the setup engine were removed and which remain.
Michael Nesmith

InstallAware

MrTom

Postby MrTom » Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:18 pm

Its particularly sad I'd say for a company who writes installer software. Is this indicative of installers we develop using InstallAware - that its possible to get a client's machine into such a state that it is impossible to reinstall our software again?

Not trying to be nasty, but surely one of the hallmarks of a good install system is not only its ability to Install, but its ability to clean up and uninstall.

I have deleted everything I can find, in the registry and the file system, and still cant get the product to install. This really needs to be fixed as it is always possible for dumb users (me in this case) to do something wrong, and we must be able to find a way to back out of it and start again.

I am happy to look for anything you ask me to, just tell me what and I'll go do it. Short of a reformat of my disk anyway.

Regards,
Tom

MrTom

Postby MrTom » Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:04 pm

I downloaded the latest patch from 29 december. The original error was gone but I got further errors as it attempted to uninstall my old version (which I of course was desperately trying to do myself), then fell over with a network error trying to open C:\\windows\\installer\\myahe which did not exist. It told me to uninstall the product myself which I had of course been trying to do for weeks.

I then spent a couple of hours trawling through the registry and eventually found some entries for myahe, mia, installaware and mimarsinan which I also removed. Ultimately, this worked and I now managed to install. Dont want to add up how much time it took though - hope its worth it.

But this all should be a lot smoother. I dont know anything about the product yet, but it must be possible to write installers that can handle this sort of issue with partially installed software, and not fall over if things dont go right.

Look forward to trying it out finally and hopefully improvements in this area in the future.

Thanks for your help along the way, and whatever fix went into the latest build.

Regards,
Tom

Return to “Technical Support”