IA Support... Search not working

Got a problem you cannot solve? Try here.
Steve

IA Support... Search not working

Postby Steve » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:16 pm

Just an FYI that searching the Support topics is not working...
all searches return a 404 error essentially rendering the IA support next to useless in term of searching for solutions to problems.

FrancescoT
Site Admin

Re: IA Support... Search not working

Postby FrancescoT » Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:49 pm

Dear Steve,

already exists a thread about this problem.
http://www.installaware.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10379

This post will be removed!

Regards
Francesco Toscano
InstallAware Software

White Papers (HowTos) - http://www.installaware.com/publication ... papers.htm
Publications - http://www.installaware.com/publications-review.htm
InstallAware Help -F1 anywhere in the InstallAware IDE

Steve

Postby Steve » Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:47 pm

FrancescoT,

I'm not sure if your reply back to me was intended to be rude, but it came across that way when you 'BOLDED':
[quote]This post will be removed![/quote].

If you had thought about what I wrote perhaps a little longer, you might have realised that it is not possible for your customers to search for such posts when your search feature is broken!....
So telling me that that a similar post exists is really nice of you and I thank you, but without a working search feature no one can find such information themselves.

Thus I was just trying to provide a courtesy to InstallAware and let them know that their primary source of revenue (us, the paying customers) can't use your Technical Support BBS to find timely solutions to problems.

Perhaps I am being a bit oversensitive, and if so I apologize, but your response reminded me far too much of the tone of Michael Nesmith, a former IA employee.

Steve

bokkie

Postby bokkie » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:03 am

Steve,

You wrote "your response reminded me far too much of the tone of Michael Nesmith, a former IA employee". You should be publicly flogged for reminding us about that. I still shudder with terror when I recall how he used to treat forum members. :D
Peter. Smartly dressed, he still resembles an unmade bed.
InstallAware MVP

FrancescoT
Site Admin

Postby FrancescoT » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:52 am

guys please, I am not "Torquemada"!

There aren't other hidden meanings behind the "BOLDED" form. I Perfectly know that "without a working search feature", it's quite difficult for you to verify the existence of the similar thread.

It was not my intention to be rude.

I just wanted to make sure you knew the effective reason of the post removal.

Regards
Francesco Toscano
InstallAware Software

Steve

Postby Steve » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:22 am

Hi Francesco,
I'm going to assume that you erroniously thought that saying I "should be publicly flogged" for explaining the source of my displeasure and frustration, was in some way funny.
Hmmmm... InstallAware made the decision to hire him and I should be publicly flogged for it? Rather medieval sounding. Perhaps this forum is still in the dark ages? LOL
I think I will leave further discussion at that.

I would like you to understand that I manually looked through the topics (a frustrating and time consuming exercise without the ability to search for keywords) for information about the search function of your support forum being broken and could find nothing. A tool that provides only frustration and no useable results is of no use to anyone.

I would like to suggest that since it is not possible to search for anything on you support forum, that you make a 'sticky' post that your customers can easily find (always placed at the top of your topics list).
Further, that sticky post should be updated by you or another IA employee on a daily basis with the results of your ongoing efforts to resolve the problem and an estimated time to resolution.

Please understand that your support forum is part of InstallAware's sales pitch and as such is something that your paying customers are told is there to help solve their support issues. Thus, it is essentially part of what forms a purchase decision and the expectation is that it can actually be used.

In the mean time, since it is not possible to search keywords of any type, would you please kindly provide me with all links to all forum topics which pertain to getting SQL 2014 express edition to successfully install within an IA project in addition to how I can successfully run an SQL script that will create and populate a database within the same project.
Additionally I require the switches needed within IA to name the SQL instance and to set the SQL browser, named pipes and TCPIP protocols to 'enabled'

Thank you in advance for your understanding and cooperation

Steve

bokkie

Postby bokkie » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:13 am

Steve, it was I who suggested you be flogged and it was offered in jest. Many of us remember some of Michael N's comments and how some users felt like they were on the receiving end of a pugilistic battering. Over time, I had become dulled and anaesthetised and as the years passed by order returned. And then you aroused me from my soporific stupor and reminded me of a dark period and it scared me. Honest, guv'nor, it was well intended? Hence the S-M-I-L-E-Y... :D

I don't know any of the IA team personally but Francesco does a lot to help users.
Peter. Smartly dressed, he still resembles an unmade bed.
InstallAware MVP

Steve

Postby Steve » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:33 am

Hi Bokkie,
Well phrased reply!
I was so irritated by the obtuseness of Francesco's initial response that I completely missed the fact that the flogging was your suggestion. Now it's just funny!

Francesco,
my apologies to you for my error on attributing the public flogging to you.
Having said that that (sincerely), the rest of my comments, my suggestions and my request for SQL express 2014 assistance still stand.

Steve

FrancescoT
Site Admin

Postby FrancescoT » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:56 pm

Dear Steve,

finally has been proved my innocence!

I have also to say, that I did not like your explanation about my obtuseness.

Anyway, to finally close the matter and for what concerns your questions;

in all honesty it's not clear to me which are your concerns about to successfully install "SQL 2014 express edition" within an IA project.

The "SQL 2014 express edition" RTM package is already included with the most recent IA versions and it's not required any particular action in order to install it correctly. Once "SQL 2014 express edition" has been included into the project from the "application runtimes" view, all the necessary scripts are automatically included with the project as well. With these, the "checksql2014" script already does all the necessary steps about the minimum system requirements.

> So it's not required any other action to include such package with the installer.

For what concerns how to run a MS SQL script within the same project, this can be done via SCRIPT CODE using the "MS SQL Server" plugin that comes with IA.

Instead for what concerns the switches needed to customize a MS SQL installation, you should refer to the Microsoft Documentation about the possible and available command line options.

By default the MS SQL command line parameters are defined with a script variable within the relative "SetupSqlxxxx_xx" script.

For example;

In case you include the "Microsoft SQL Server Express 2014 sp1 (x86 and x64 WOW)" RTM package into your project, the MS SQL command line parameters are defined with the "MSSQL2014_COMMAND_LINE_X86" variable within the "setupsql2014sp1_x86" script.

So it is just necessary to modify the switch parameters defined with "MSSQL2014_COMMAND_LINE_X86" as you need.

///// IMPORTANT ///////////
///////////////////////////
I don't want to use a BOLD form once again, but I have to remind that this TOPIC has been marked for removal.
For this reason, I suggest to start a new TOPIC for any new discussion that may be necessary to start or eventually to continue about possible MS SQL questions.

Regards
Francesco Toscano
InstallAware Software

Steve

Postby Steve » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:46 pm

Hi Francesco,
Thank you for your excellent response. I will attempt again to integrate SQLExpress 2014 into my installation package using the detailed information you have provided.
To set your mind at ease, please notice that my use of the term 'obtuse' was in reference to the 'bluntness' of the initial bolded response when all I was attempting to do was a 'good deed' in letting IA know about the failure of search functionality. Please note that at no point did I say or intend to intimate that you are personally obtuse.

Thanks again for your thorough response to my IA question and I apologize for unintentionally hurting your feelings.

Steve

FrancescoT
Site Admin

Postby FrancescoT » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:05 pm

:D
Francesco Toscano
InstallAware Software

Return to “Technical Support”