X4 Features

Got a problem you cannot solve? Try here.
SteveDude

X4 Features

Postby SteveDude » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:25 pm

Guys/Gals, I'm really anxious for this new version you have coming out. By the feature list it sounds like you really knocked it out of the park on this one and you noted a couple of things I could really use.

Anyway to get it sooner?

bokkie

Re: X4 Features

Postby bokkie » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:11 am

Steve, you sound a bit like an excited kid who knows there's going to be something good under the Christmas tree. :)

It's got me interested as well. I like the script function enhancements. What I can't quite latch onto, however, is what exactly the IDE zoom is about. :?:

In a couple of days I guess we'll find out.
Peter. Smartly dressed, he still resembles an unmade bed.
InstallAware MVP

SteveDude

Postby SteveDude » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:32 am

When I saw the release notes, that's pretty much what I felt like...getting a new toy :D.

I'm guessing the IDE Zoom is way to view areas of the script larger, which would be quite handy on a UHD display, especially with my eyes.

I have a project I was just finishing up that I could make some good use of Social Networking features. Couldn't of come at a better time.

bokkie

Postby bokkie » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:44 am

SteveDude wrote:I'm guessing the IDE Zoom is way to view areas of the script larger, which would be quite handy on a UHD display, especially with my eyes.

That could explain it. I'm nowhere near getting access to UHD anytime soon. I'm more or less still stuck in what seems like an 8-bit 640x480 resolution. In my case, my monitor seems to be locked in a deep physics curved space warp...oh wait, it's not curved space, it's the convex shape of the monitor's screen. :(

You blokes with UHD are spoiled. :)
InstallAware MVP

SteveDude

Postby SteveDude » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:11 am

bokkie wrote:You blokes with UHD are spoiled.

Yes we are :).

For myself, this coming release is probably about the biggest one in quite awhile for features I could really use.

You've been around here for along time, too. I just noticed a post I did back in 2010 and can't remember how many versions I've had, but it's been a few. Was somewhere around the time Wise went belly up, but I've been building installs since the old CP/M days way before there was such thing as CD. Seriously though IA has been the best thing that's come along since sliced bread for me.

bokkie

Postby bokkie » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:16 pm

I first found IA back in 2009 sometime when it was version 9. At the time the forums were fronted by Michael Nesmith who had a fiery and somewhat mercurial, bellicose, belligerent and intransigent approach to the way he dealt with users. :D

I never used Wise but like one forum user described it, I was somewhat "Shield-damaged" if you get my meaning. IA has made things so much easier and workable for me as well. For sure, there are some areas in the IDE I'd like to see addressed and "fixed" but for out-of-the-box functionality and usefulness, there still is nothing better out there. Heck, yes, there's a lot I still need to learn about it but those are things I'll deal with when I need to.

What interests me about X4 is that scripts not only now return values but reading Jason's pre-launch teaser "its a snap to build your own script functions" does that mean you can write script functions that accept runtime parameters as arguments as well? Now, that would be something. :!: Tomorrow is Thurday and then there's just one day left after that and we'll see who unwraps everything first. :D
InstallAware MVP

FrancescoT
Site Admin

Postby FrancescoT » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:57 pm

Dear guys,

I really appreaciated your posts.

Unfortunately I cannot anticipate to you any URL where to download the new package, for this you have to be patient a bit longer ... friday is not so far.
Of course if you have any question about the new X4 features, I'll be happy to reply your questions... I had the privilege to play with IA X4. :lol:

Regards
Francesco Toscano
InstallAware Software

White Papers (HowTos) - http://www.installaware.com/publication ... papers.htm
Publications - http://www.installaware.com/publications-review.htm
InstallAware Help -F1 anywhere in the InstallAware IDE

SteveDude

Postby SteveDude » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:15 pm

bokkie wrote:I first found IA back in 2009 sometime when it was version 9. At the time the forums were fronted by Michael Nesmith who had a fiery and somewhat mercurial, bellicose, belligerent and intransigent approach to the way he dealt with users. :D

I can't forget him as he kicked me off here once after he really got under my skin and that is a pretty difficult thing to do. I might have you beat by a couple of years after looking through my emails I first got it in April of 2007. Think it was either v6 or v7.

bokkie wrote:I never used Wise but like one forum user described it, I was somewhat "Shield-damaged" if you get my meaning. IA has made things so much easier and workable for me as well. For sure, there are some areas in the IDE I'd like to see addressed and "fixed" but for out-of-the-box functionality and usefulness, there still is nothing better out there. Heck, yes, there's a lot I still need to learn about it but those are things I'll deal with when I need to.

I liked Wise much better than Install Shield and it was very extendable. That's what drove me to IA when it disappeared and using old scripts were pretty much automatic into IA. InstallShield is a ripoff in my opinion and I really liked beating a couple of my competitors with a single installer for x86 and x64 combined installs and they still don't have it quite right.

Once I got used to the default orange color in IA I don't cringe anymore. I've only had one big problem with it and ended up skipping a version quite awhile back. I think sometimes they read my mind because I had a problem with on a UHD display and by the time I completely was ready to make the switch to the new box they had a fix.

Kind of the same thing here with this upcoming release, a couple of things I could use for my latest project just popped up in the feature list.

bokkie wrote:What interests me about X4 is that scripts not only now return values but reading Jason's pre-launch teaser "its a snap to build your own script functions" does that mean you can write script functions that accept runtime parameters as arguments as well? Now, that would be something. :!: Tomorrow is Thurday and then there's just one day left after that and we'll see who unwraps everything first. :D

That interests me as well and there's still a bunch of things I could still learn about IA too. One thing I always liked is the plugin capabilities and I've done quite a few. Keep saying I'm going to strip out the "secret code" and release them in the wild and haven't got around too it.

I think you'll beat me to the draw on playing with X4, because I have 300 plus mile road trip I need to do this week and Friday's looking like the day I'm going to do it.

SteveDude

Postby SteveDude » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:16 pm

FrancescoT wrote:Dear guys,

I had the privilege to play with IA X4. :lol:

Regards

:P :twisted:

bokkie

Postby bokkie » Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:22 am

You mentioned this
I have a project I was just finishing up that I could make some good use of Social Networking features. Couldn't of come at a better time.

and Jason Strathmore's pre-launch email mentions
2) Is the first to ship with Twitter and Facebook integration.

Forgive my asking but I can appreciate what it can do but what exactly is the problem it solves? Is it a bit like saying that if I create an installer which copies a text file onto a user's machine, then I could use the social networking feature to tell everybody on farcebook that I've done so? I'm obviously being as thick as the proverbial 4x2 piece of wood but I can't see the slam-dunk reason or intended purpose of using that facility. :(
InstallAware MVP

FrancescoT
Site Admin

Postby FrancescoT » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:10 pm

Dear Peter,

these are the social ages!

I fully understand your concerns but also think about the possible implications that "Social Networking features" may have on the marketing side.
For example; a company may use such feature to enhance a Social relation with the users.

Regards
Francesco Toscano
InstallAware Software

White Papers (HowTos) - http://www.installaware.com/publication ... papers.htm
Publications - http://www.installaware.com/publications-review.htm
InstallAware Help -F1 anywhere in the InstallAware IDE

bokkie

Postby bokkie » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:25 pm

Social age? That's no maybe. :D

The social networking thing passed me by completely. I've never subscribed to fb or other sites. I'm sure it has its use like marketing but I just don't "get" it. My wife has asked me to sign up but I've told her, thanks, but no thanks. I'll get my kicks sticking a stamp on an envelope. :D

Tomorrow I'll download X4, depending on what time it's made available and see what other things are in it, apart from what Jason has referred to in his mailshot. Seriously, you guys are the best in what you deliver.
InstallAware MVP

SteveDude

Postby SteveDude » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:20 pm

bokkie wrote:Forgive my asking but I can appreciate what it can do but what exactly is the problem it solves? Is it a bit like saying that if I create an installer which copies a text file onto a user's machine, then I could use the social networking feature to tell everybody on farcebook that I've done so? I'm obviously being as thick as the proverbial 4x2 piece of wood but I can't see the slam-dunk reason or intended purpose of using that facility. :(

I do software and content for the Apparel Decoration and Sign Industries with both industries relying heavily on Social Networking, mostly via Facebook.

The Social Networking plugins don't necessarily solve any problems so to speak, but open some new possibilities that marketing will love. What I'm hoping I can do is offer an alternative software registration from their Social Networking account. You see many websites these days that offer that alternative for logging in or registering on their site and it would be great to do it via the installer because not only could you get more user info but also more accurate data about them with less hassle of entering a bunch of user info on the user side. I'm sure there are more benefits that I haven't thought of yet. I'm not going to require anyone to make posts to the their networking accounts, but may make it as an option with possibly offering the user some perk for doing so.

Return to “Technical Support”