Web updates

Got a problem you cannot solve? Try here.
SITL

Web updates

Postby SITL » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:42 am

Dear Francesco,

Thanks for your support,
Moving on...I started to work on Web updates.
(In the main install few minor issues are there, will be taken up later)

From Design\Project properties & Design\Web updates,
I have added all the necessary details.
I have IIS 7 on my machine, and basic setup seems to be OK.
the URL is http://localhost/installer/updates.ini

So when i ran web updates (Manual for the time being), it recognizes my server and shows my update pack.
Select and click on download, it moves to next screen (Install) but Update title list is empty.
And Details list tells download is unsuccessful.
So, how do i debug this ?
I'm writing to text file, it's empty :) . (But in the main install writing to text file is fine)
Guide me please.

Appreciate your help.
Regards
SITL

FrancescoT
Site Admin

Re: Web updates

Postby FrancescoT » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:50 pm

Dear STIL,

along the "updates.ini" you also need to make available the "update" pack which is supposed to be the update to distribute.

"An update can consist of any downloadable file, and will typically be a setup executable; such as an incremental update built using the Patches page, or a full blown major version installer that completely uninstalls the previous version."

Is it this available from your server?

With the IA documentation, you can find detailed information on How Web Updates Work ...just search for "web updates".

In addition, you may have a look at the White-paper: "Using InstallAware to Deliver Web Updates" from; https://www.installaware.com/publications-whitepapers.htm.

Hope this helps you.

Regards
Francesco Toscano
InstallAware Software

White Papers (HowTos) - http://www.installaware.com/publication ... papers.htm
Publications - http://www.installaware.com/publications-review.htm
InstallAware Help -F1 anywhere in the InstallAware IDE

SITL

Postby SITL » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:39 am

Dear Francesco,

Thanks for your update.
I'm working on it & following your guide lines.

However in my update pack is very much there.
Lines form my previous post -
It recognizes my server and shows my update pack.
Select and click on download, it moves to next screen (Install) but Update title list is empty.

I'm progressing, thanks for your help :)
Regards
SITL

Michael Gasser

Postby Michael Gasser » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:16 pm

Hi SITL

did you check the web server log file? Your IIS might block the download of the update pack file.

Open a web browser and check, if you can download the files listed in your updates.ini file.

Regards
Michael

SITL

Postby SITL » Wed May 03, 2017 5:51 am

Dear Francesco,
Thanks for your help.

Few basic questions regarding web updates.
Probably something wrong in my understanding, here is what i have done.
Very sorry for the way i'm presenting the issue.

1. Using IIS 7.5
a. Installed my product with proper web updates settings (Manual)
b. Created the patch with proper reference to the base project.
c. proper updates.ini and patch files are present in the web server root directory.
d. when i click on the short cut updates myProduct, it actually goes thro' all the
download and install screens properly without error.
down load is fine
updates are successfully installed.
But when i check the installed folder, i won't see the expected changes.
For testing i have one text file in the source directory (files to be installed),
after installation of my product, i have edited the text file in the source directory and build the patch.
after applying the patch, i would expect the edited text file in the installed directory, But it's not happening. my
changes are NOT applied in the installed directory. ( earlier you had told me how to create the patch, so no problem
in creation of patch ).
2. Using FTP server.
I have carefully done all the settings, seems like URL and other patch setting are fine,
but when i try to apply the patch, i'm getting message -
No updates for my product at this time, please check back later.

Please advice me on how to debug and try different methods for both FTP and HTTP servers.
What changes i can make in update script ? So for i have not made any changes in the updates script.
I'm using the default update script as it is. ( except URL and update pack related changes )

Appreciate your advice
Thanks.
SITL

FrancescoT
Site Admin

Postby FrancescoT » Wed May 03, 2017 12:18 pm

Dear SITl,

1> here the problem is with the patch. If you try to install the patch manually, you will have the same problem.
Are you sure to have followed what described by the following topic?
https://www.installaware.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8697

2> did you check if via web browser, you can download the files listed in your updates.ini file and the updates.ini itself?

Hope this helps you.

Regards
Francesco Toscano
InstallAware Software

SITL

Postby SITL » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:58 am

Dear Francesco,
Thanks for your help.
I'm very near to completing the patch issue.
this is what is happening now...

You have told me earlier regarding patch creation
& also i have read the document https://www.installaware.com/installaware_patching.pdf

1. base project is built as web deploy (single exe as per the above document)
then edited one text file, which is installed & build the patch as .exe ( as per your steps told earlier)

2. Installed my product.
3. copied the patch & updates.ini to server.
(i could access updates.ini & download the patch using browser
& if i run the patch manually by double clicking it, my changes are applied properly)

4. click on update product shortcut.
(Since i have selected the manual option)

5. Able to contact server & list the available patch.
6. select the patch, download & install.

All the steps are executed successfully. no errors.
but my changes are not seen in the installed directory.
I have no clue, because i'm not getting any error.
Your comments were very useful.
Please guide me.

Regards
SITL

FrancescoT
Site Admin

Postby FrancescoT » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:05 am

Dear SITL,

if the patch gets installed correctly when this runs manually, the same should happen when the patch gets installed from a web update. Supposing of course, that the same identical patch file has been used with the update pack.

At any rate, for test purpose you may try to disable the "Silently run update installer" flag in the update pack settings.
up_pack.png
up_pack.png (21.22 KiB) Viewed 8705 times

Doing in this way, the patch will run interactively and it should display a message in case of errors.

Furthermore, you can also use the "Additional command line parameters for update installer" field of the update pack settings, to specify where to store a log file of the patch installation process.

Hope this helps you.

Regards
Francesco Toscano
InstallAware Software

SITL

Postby SITL » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:34 am

Dear Francesco,

Thank you very much.
I disabled the "Silently run update installer" flag in the update pack settings.
It's working fine.
Appreciate you :D

Regards
SITL

SITL

Postby SITL » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:11 am

Francesco,
Thanks,
1. It's working as expected except one case described below.
I have few libraries changed & final exe (MyProduct.exe ) also get changed during compilation.
So, Few libraries and Main .exe (MyProduct.exe) need to be updated.
while updating, there are two instances where we got the error saying MyProduct.exe is all ready got updated by some other means.
& if we ignore, all the files are updated properly.
error message is attached, (sometime it shows MyProduct.exe & sometimes .tmp file)
2. In the above screen, while defining update pack, how to specify log file ? ( as a command line parameter)
I have specified as /l $DESKTOPDIR$\updatetLog.txt, But no log file created on the desktop.
This is important because i need to improve my patch.

Please give your comments/suggestion.
Regards
SITL
Attachments
UpdateCapture.GIF
UpdateCapture.GIF (12.72 KiB) Viewed 8662 times

FrancescoT
Site Admin

Postby FrancescoT » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:50 am

Dear SITL,

1. I am not quite sure to follow your description ...why do you have two instances while updating?

2. The DESKTOPDIR path may contain "space characters". If this is the case, you should already know that "path parameters" have to be enclosed within "double quotes". Then the log flag has to be passed exactly as "/l=<path to logfile>".
Regards
Francesco Toscano
InstallAware Software

SITL

Postby SITL » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:23 am

Dear Francesco,
Thanks for your reply,

1. That error with updates is reported by QA team.
( I'll revisit this issue )
======================================================================
I have few more things to clarify.

Main installer & Manual updates are working fine.
I switched to manual update because other two were NOT working.
I have to make Automatic updates OR at least scheduled updates working for me.
If you have any hints please guide me.
( like you told me to disable the "Silently run update installer" flag for manual update, it worked.)

So, do i have to make any changes to update script ?
below i describe what is happening with scheduled updates....
1. Build Main installer,
Installed my product.
changed few text files (to be installed) for patch build.
2. created the patch with schedule updates.
uploaded the patch and updates.ini to server
3. Restarted my machine.
a. Start up screen come up, followed by welcome to myproduct updates screen, click next
b. Notification settings screen come up, here we can schedule for updates. (screen attached)
c. Then log on credentials screen, Entered user name & password
( I tried without password also)
d. Finish

After the scheduled time, nothing happens.
( I think, setup is not run. it's unable to resolve the & invoke the setup files )
For download & install, there are three options like Notify me before download & install, Automatically download and install etc., I tried all of them.

Questin 1. How do i skip run time checks for patch because it's taking longer time.
OR Actually i do not want to show start up screens for updates, how to hide these startup screen for manual updates.
And even i do not want to show 'update setup welcome' screen for Manual updates.
Question 2. Do i have to make any changes to update script for scheduled updates?

Appreciate your comments.
Regards
SITL
Attachments
ScheduleUpdatesCapture.GIF
ScheduleUpdatesCapture.GIF (49.65 KiB) Viewed 8645 times

FrancescoT
Site Admin

Postby FrancescoT » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:24 am

Dear SITL,

concerning your problems with updates, I can only suppose that "Probably", it exists something wrong with your project settings or with your script logic. The logic that stays behind the update functionality is extremely simple and unless you made any customization that may have altered the update functionality, this must work as it is.

When the updates are deployed using the "Schedule updates (similar to Windows Update)" mode, the update script creates a "Scheduled Task" on the target system. This task is based on the settings entered with the "update_setup_schedule" dialog and once confirmed the "Notification Settings", the "Task" becomes immediately active.

This TASK can be easily checked by inspecting the "Scheduled Tasks" of the target system (Control Panel -> System -> Administrative Tools -> Task Scheduler).
webupdate1.png
webupdate1.png (88.5 KiB) Viewed 8635 times

Please note that by default, the update script uses the project name to assign the task name ("$TITLE$ Updates") and in my case, I used WebUpdate for the project name.

For test purpose, you can also force the task (...the update process) to start immediately. This can be easily done by selecting the "Run" command of the Task dialog. Alternatively, you can manually run the command line defined with the "Task Action".

By default Application RTMs are not included with the Patch Build process. Consequently, this lets me to think that you have modified the default behavior of the main script file.

At any rate, Installaware uses pre-defined COMPILER VARIABLES to include/Exclude part of the script code depending on the selected Build Type.

For example;
[[compiler if Variable BUILDMODE not Equals PATCH]
if Variable NEEDSUPGRADE Equals TRUE
Set Variable PREREQ to TRUE
Set Variable PRELIST to $PRELIST$$NEWLINE$Previous Version Uninstallation
end
[compiler end]

Consequently, you may use the same identical approach to Exclude part of your script code that doesn't need to be included with your patch.

Hope this finally helps you.

Regards
Francesco Toscano
InstallAware Software

SITL

Postby SITL » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:56 am

Dear Francesco,
Thank you very much for sharing so much details.
I'm sure this will help me to complete,
But i could not work on that part due to some other issues reported by QA.
============================================================
Here is the details...
If we install our product in C:\Program Files (x86)\MyProduct\Ver12
& Apply patch (Manual mode), everything is fine. No issues.

But if user has changed the installation directory to
D:\Program Files (x86)\MyProduct\Ver12

product is installed properly, but patch is applied to C:\Program Files (x86)\MyProduct\Ver12
I reviewed my script and found a variable under the region define setup globals , that initializes TARGETDIR to C:\Program Files (x86)\MyProduct\Ver12

~InstallAware Clipboard Data~
~Set Variable~
~{8480B431-2281-444D-BF8D-F13907D99006}~
~TARGETDIR$MYAH$MYAH$FALSE~
~$PROGRAMFILES$MyProduct\Ver12~

so I added the if condition to exclude that for the patch,
~InstallAware Clipboard Data~
~Compiler Variable End~
~{CF9C0C03-395E-438B-8E76-914EBB65AA3C}~
~Set Variable~
~{8480B431-2281-444D-BF8D-F13907D99006}~
~TARGETDIR$MYAH$MYAH$FALSE~
~$PROGRAMFILES$MyProduct\Ver12~
~Compiler Variable If~
~{FCB4C248-594D-45F9-92CB-BEAC271BF8EF}~
~BUILDMODE~
~0~
~PATCH~
~TRUE~

After adding this if condition, I started getting the error code 2727 ( hope you know this )
Then i read couple replies for that error 2727 on our forum & tried few of them.
i commented out that if condition to get back to older working state, still i'm getting the same error 2727.
I am 100% sure, just one if condition (if not patch, with proper end as well).
I'm not able to get back to working version.

(All along I was building web deploy, single .exe. So web medial blocks are commented as per your doc)
OK, one more try, I enabled the web medial blocks and build regular single .exe and corresponding patch as well still error 2727 persists.
Still trying all the methods.

QUESTION: How can initialize the TARGETDIR for the patch from the installed directory (may be from cached setup files) ?
Actually, we don't need to initialize ?
I am sure, I'm not doing anything with TARGETDIR, except that one initialize statement shown above.

Appreciate your comments, please guide me.
Regards
SITL

FrancescoT
Site Admin

Postby FrancescoT » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:11 am

Dear SITL,

all your errors are due the fact that you are continuing to alter the default behavior of the setup script. Of course, the setup script code can be manipulated and customized as you prefer. As any "Professional Development Language" there are no limitation about this. However, it's necessary that you know exactly what you are going to do when writing some new code or in case you decide to modify the existing one.

There is no need to conditionally alter the assignment of the TARGETDIR pre-defined variable as you have done.
That error code is the direct consequence of the missing assignment of the TARGETDIR pre-defined variable. Obviously, I don't have any idea of what kind of modifications you have effectively made to the setup script code. For sure that conditional directive MUST BE REMOVED!!!

Concerning the problem with the different target directory applied by the patch, even in this case, this is very probably the consequence of some incorrect coding.

By default, the patch is always applied to the same destination folder used to install the base setup package. So whatever it's the target directory selected during the installation of the base setup, the same IDENTICAL directory will be then used by the patch at Runtime to install its files.

Once again, I suggest you to carefully review the patch sample available from the link below. Then compare your code with the code used by the sample.
https://www.installaware.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8697

Please note that above sample don't use any particular script code or any special kind of customization. Both sample projects are entirely based on a standard project template. The base setup project was generated from the "Basic Setup" template, while the "Patch Project" is the exact copy of the base project. No other modifications was applied to the default behavior of the main script files. The only difference stays with the files installed by the respective projects.

Regards
Francesco Toscano
InstallAware Software

Return to “Technical Support”