Unable to capture progress of child installer(.msi)

Got a problem you cannot solve? Try here.
premjeet.singh

Unable to capture progress of child installer(.msi)

Postby premjeet.singh » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:30 am

I am using Installaware 18. I have a master installer with single child installer(.msi). When master installer installs with child installer, the progress of master installer files shows but unable to capture progress of child installer installation.

-> The child installer(.msi) runs using the (Un)Install MSI Setup plugin and File Bag Plugin.
-> At the time of uninstallation, the progress of child installer as well as master installer gets captured and shown.
-> The process does not wait to finish the child installer installation and the control flows forward. While at the time of uninstallation, it waits to get finish of child installer uninstallation.
-> The problem is setup get stucks at the time of child installer installation and user doesn't get any progress of installation.

At last what I need is to get the progress of child installer installation.

FrancescoT
Site Admin

Re: Unable to capture progress of child installer(.msi)

Postby FrancescoT » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:23 pm

Please have a look at the attached sample. For what I see "setup progresses" get captured ...however, what displayed can be different depending on the target OS.

I used IA X6 to create the sample. This probably will not build correctly in IA 18 ...but you should be able to see the MSI code.
The compiled setup.exe is also included (release folder).

Hope this helps you.

Regards.
Attachments
My Project.rar
(8.98 MiB) Downloaded 232 times
Francesco Toscano
InstallAware Software

White Papers (HowTos) - http://www.installaware.com/publication ... papers.htm
Publications - http://www.installaware.com/publications-review.htm
InstallAware Help -F1 anywhere in the InstallAware IDE

premjeet.singh

Re: Unable to capture progress of child installer(.msi)

Postby premjeet.singh » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:22 am

The 'My Project.rar' sample setup you have provided is also not capturing any progress of child installer at the time of installation. I have checked it on Windows 7, Windows 10. At the time of uninstallation, it captures the progress of child installer like my setup is doing. I gets no difference in behaviour of my setup and your sample setup.
When I run your child installer (systest.msi) separately to install then it shows its progress.

Another issue is that As I have mentioned in 3rd point of my previous post
The process does not wait to finish the child installer installation and the control flows forward. While at the time of uninstallation, it waits to get finish of child installer uninstallation.

The same behaviour is in your sample setup. At the time of installation, when your master installer (my project.exe) calls child installer (systest.msi) using the (Un)Install MSI Setup plugin then it does not waits for its completion. It executes it and moved forward and then shows the "completed" dialog but in reality its not completed. Then for confirmation I have opened Task Manager and as I saw the child installer (systest.msi) was in running process. Not only this, the shortcut on desktop also appears 5 seconds later after the completion dialog.

At the time of uninstallation, the (Un)Install MSI Setup plugin command waits for its completion and then it moves forward.

Return to “Technical Support”