Patch creation for msi

Got a problem you cannot solve? Try here.
SITL

Patch creation for msi

Postby SITL » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:46 am

Dear Francesco,

Thanks for all the help.
My Base project ( MyProduct.exe ) & Patch Project ( MyProduct_patch1.exe ) are working as expected.
Appreciate your support.

However it's our process we ship both MyProduct.exe &
MyProduct.msi. Because many customers want MyProduct.msi file.
So, patch should work for both the MyProduct.exe & MyProduct.msi installers.

Here are the steps i followed. (writing key steps only )
1. Form the BASE PROFECT; project settings/Output Unselect (UnCheck)"Change Revision code automatically upon rebuild".
& created MyProduct.msi for the base project.

2. Then in project settings/Output Select (check) "Change Revision code automatically upon rebuild".
& created MyProduct.exe for the base project.

3. Then Clone the base project & build the Patch as MyProduct_Patch1.exe with reference as MyProduct.exe

RESULT : 1. Everything works fine for the peoples who installs thro' MyProduct.exe.
2. Whoever installs thro' MyProduct.msi are not able to update patch.
a. When user clicks on the shortcut - Update MyProduct, he can see the available patch,
b. Patch was downloaded successfully.
c. click on "Install", startup screen come up, then "Browse for folder" screen comes up,
asking the user to select the Original setup sources.
d. This "Browse for folder" screen will be shown again and again ever the user select the proper folder.

(For your information , You have already told me the basic steps, so i 'm not writing detailed steps. Also,
I read both installaware_patching.pdf & installaware_web_updates.pdf )

Can you give me steps to create the patch which work for both MyProduct.msi & MyProduct.exe ?
Appreciate your help.
Regards
SITL

FrancescoT
Site Admin

Re: Patch creation for msi

Postby FrancescoT » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:16 pm

Dear SITL,

we have already discussed about these questions multiple times.

At any rate;

1- Load the Base project in IA and disable the re-generation of the Revision code (!UnCheck! "Change Revision code automatically upon rebuild").
2- Build the EXE version of your Base Project and then BUILD its MSI version. Doing this, both EXE & MSI will use the same IDENTICAL revision code.
3- Once you have your EXE and MSI outputs, re-enable the re-generation of the Revision code (!Check! "Change Revision code automatically upon rebuild").
4- Save your Base Project.
5- Create your Patch Project ... cloning it from your base project (I omit all the necessary steps ... because we already discussed about them in other threads extensively).
5- Then in your Patch project, specify the EXE version of your base project as PATCH REFERENCE.
6- Finally Build the Patch.

The resulting PATCH will work with both yours; MyProduct.msi & MyProduct.exe.

c. click on "Install", startup screen come up, then "Browse for folder" screen comes up,
asking the user to select the Original setup sources.

We discussed about this in another thread as well.
This depends on the "Always Cache Setup Sources" option defined in the Build Settings.
https://www.installaware.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10913&p=41872&hilit=This+three+state+check+box+lets+you+control#p41872

Hope this FINALLY helps you.

Regards
Francesco Toscano
InstallAware Software

White Papers (HowTos) - http://www.installaware.com/publication ... papers.htm
Publications - http://www.installaware.com/publications-review.htm
InstallAware Help -F1 anywhere in the InstallAware IDE

SITL

Postby SITL » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:21 am

Dear Francesco,
Thanks for your help.
I'm very sorry, QA Team did not mention about Silent installation & I had other issues to look at.
Problem happens for Silent install using MyProduct.msi only, It's NOT about .msi OR .exe.

I.If the user installs using MyProduct.exe OR MyProduct.msi, Regular installation using GUI,
InstallAware creates an entry for Uninstall information in the registry.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\MyProduct4.0
And everything works fine as expected.

II.And if the user SILENTLY installs using MyProdict.msi. Above registry entry is not created.
And this is the real problem. It's NOT about .msi OR .exe.

Above registry entry is created by default by InstallAware, and the Command to create above registry entry is not there in the MSI script.
I'm attaching the snap of the registry for your reference.
1. Can you please give me the MSI script to do that ? And where to insert that MSI code.
I have to do that only for SILENT install.

NOTE: Even after following your steps, when we update patch, we were asked to select the original setup source again and again.
I think It's because, that registry entry is not found for SILENT INSTALL.

Regards
SITL
Last edited by SITL on Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

SITL

Postby SITL » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:06 am

Dear Francesco,
Thanks for your help.
I tried all possible ways, unable to fix this issue.
I created a new TEST project & corresponding TEST patch project,
Everything works fine. .exe, .msi, regular install, Silent install etc.,
All possible test cases works as expected.
Yes, point to note here is Registry entry as mentioned above is NOT created for Silent installation.
But all the test are PASSING. ( I mean , installation , uninstallation , applying patch etc., )

But in the live project,
Something wrong with Silent install ? Do i need to set any variable for Silent install ? so that installer maintains proper data.
Appreciate your comments.

Regards
SITL

SITL

Postby SITL » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:59 am

Francesco,
Thank you very much,
You have given me answer on another topic of mine.
It is working fine now.

Appreciate you.
Regards
SITL

Return to “Technical Support”