Updating a single file in an existing EXE/MSI

Got a problem you cannot solve? Try here.
Sheri_Steeves

Updating a single file in an existing EXE/MSI

Postby Sheri_Steeves » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:36 am

Hello,

Is there a way to "re-package" an existing EXE/MSI and update a single file that is inside the EXE/MSI?

We have a client on a very old version of our software that we can no longer generate installs for. I need to update a single file in that install - is there a tool in X7/X8 that can help me do that?

I was looking at the Database Importer, am I on the right track to be able to do this?

Thanks!

FrancescoT
Site Admin

Re: Updating a single file in an existing EXE/MSI

Postby FrancescoT » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:53 pm

Dear Sheri,

you cannot replace or update a single file in an existing EXE/MSI.

You may eventually,
- convert an existing MSI to an IA project with the "MSI/MSM Database Import Wizard tool".

"The Database Import Wizard opens a Windows Installer setup (MSI file) or merge module (MSM file) database. It inspects the contents of the database, extracts and/or copies files from inside the database and/or source media, and then emits a ready-to-build InstallAware setup, complete with a customizable script. The Database Import Wizard provides a very easy way to import existing Windows Installer databases into InstallAware."

- capture an EXE setup with the "PackageAware tool".

"PackageAware is an intelligent wizard that captures the changes a setup makes to a system. You may use PackageAware to monitor the results of any installation, and it will create a ready-to-use installation project that can be immediately built in InstallAware. PackageAware provides a very easy way to migrate legacy installations into Windows Installer, and InstallAware."

For more details please consult the IA documentation. Both tools are included with InstallAware "Studio Admin" edition.

Hope this helps you.
Francesco Toscano
InstallAware Software

White Papers (HowTos) - http://www.installaware.com/publication ... papers.htm
Publications - http://www.installaware.com/publications-review.htm
InstallAware Help -F1 anywhere in the InstallAware IDE

Sheri_Steeves

Re: Updating a single file in an existing EXE/MSI

Postby Sheri_Steeves » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:57 am

Francesco,

Thanks for the response. It does help and let me know we were on the right track should we need to do this. In the end we were able to work around our customer's need without having to pull apart the old install.

Return to “Technical Support”