Cannot be launched outside of Visual Studio

Got a problem you cannot solve? Try here.
Clark

Cannot be launched outside of Visual Studio

Postby Clark » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:38 pm

Just tried to try Install Aware for the first time. Downloaded the free edition, installed it in Visual Studio. Opened my project, and sure enough, there was a new toolbar there, as well as a new menu item. Clicking the "Launch InstallAware" icon from the Visual Studio toolbar gets me an error window stating that "InstallAware free edition requires Visual Studio." It goes on to say that the free edition cannot be launched outside of Visual Studio, and suggests that I uninstall IA and rerun the setup to choose a different edition.

Trying to build a project using just the Setup Properties window, where I can specify a few things, gets me "Error during build: Unable to compile MSI action install assembly".

Where do I go from here?

Thanks

obi5kenobi

Re: Cannot be launched outside of Visual Studio

Postby obi5kenobi » Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:31 am

I get the exact same thing. I emailed support and included the details of the messages and they told me that InstallAware can't be launched outside of Visual Studio for the free version. They just kept repeating the message that I already included in my email. I told them that I had Visual Studio installed and was trying to launch it from within Visual Studio. They just repeated that it can't be launched outside of Visual Studio. I asked if there was another way that it's supposed to be accessed and they didn't answer.

Anyone get this and know the fix?

FrancescoT
Site Admin

Re: Cannot be launched outside of Visual Studio

Postby FrancescoT » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:16 pm

Francesco Toscano
InstallAware Software

White Papers (HowTos) - http://www.installaware.com/publication ... papers.htm
Publications - http://www.installaware.com/publications-review.htm
InstallAware Help -F1 anywhere in the InstallAware IDE

Return to “Technical Support”