Missing Icons in Start Menu shortcuts and Tiles

Got a problem you cannot solve? Try here.
Sheri_Steeves

Missing Icons in Start Menu shortcuts and Tiles

Postby Sheri_Steeves » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:46 am

Hello,

I have an issue with missing icons in my start menu shortcuts and tiles. As part of testing we isntall\re-install the different versions of our software many times. In the latest round of intstalls, I've noticed that when I remove\re-install, suddenly I have missing icons on my start menu tiles and in the start menu shortcuts and pinned taskbar items.

MissingMenuIcons.png
MissingMenuIcons.png (98.15 KiB) Viewed 3387 times

The shortcuts still work, but show only the blank document icon instead of the actual application icon. If I follow them to their folder location, they have the correct icon; which I would expect as I have not changed the installer code for these shortcuts. I haven't changed the icons used in the applications, and some of them are shortcuts to PDF files, which should be showing the Adobe icon (registered PDF viewer).

MissingMenuIconsShortcutFolder.png
MissingMenuIconsShortcutFolder.png (8.16 KiB) Viewed 3387 times

I was able to get the icon back on the Tiles by resizing them, then resizing it back. The start menu item refuses to show the correct icon, even after I went through the steps to delete and force Windows 10 to rebuild my icon cache.

These are the settings used when creating my shortcuts:

MissingShortutIconsSettings.png
MissingShortutIconsSettings.png (15.72 KiB) Viewed 3387 times

Anyone else having this issue? I am on Windows 10 (1709) but it's happened on the later Windows updates as well.

glenharvy

Re: Missing Icons in Start Menu shortcuts and Tiles

Postby glenharvy » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:01 pm

I had a similar problem as do some others as reported on the MS forums. It's suspected to be a cache issue. The only way I solved my problem was to rename the executable file from myproject.exe to myprojectUI.exe .

I don't think this is a IA problem.

Sheri_Steeves

Postby Sheri_Steeves » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:04 pm

Thanks for the confirmation, it does indeed look like a caching "feature" of Windows 10.

Michael Gasser

Postby Michael Gasser » Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:18 am

When I issued an update of my app with new app icons, some Windows versions still showed the old icons. (Windows Icon Cache problem)

This helps. Run:
ie4uinit.exe -show

This rebuilds the icon cache.

(Would be a nice InstallAware feature: Checkbox "Rebuild Windows Icon Cache")

JohnGaver

Postby JohnGaver » Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:19 pm

That's a great suggestion, thank you!
John Gaver
InstallAware Skunkworks
InstallAware Multi Platform - Liberating DEB/RPM/PKG/MSI(X) into universal native setups!
Get your free copy today - https://www.installaware.com/installaware-multi-platform.htm

Return to “Technical Support”