How to handle Control Service start errors

Got a problem you cannot solve? Try here.
khalprin

How to handle Control Service start errors

Postby khalprin » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:25 pm

Hi,

I'm using InstallAware X3.

My install program has to install and start some services. Occasionally one will fail to start for various reasons (usually permission or TCP port binding errors). When that happens, I see a dialog box with the options to Retry or Cancel. Canceling completely rolls back the installation. Selecting Retry will not generally work unless the end user is pretty darn intelligent and already familiar with the product.

Is there a way to capture/detect the failure and offer the user the option to continue the installation even though the failure occurred? (It can usually be resolved much easier after the installation is complete).

khalprin

Re: How to handle Control Service start errors

Postby khalprin » Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:57 am

I'm now using X15 and this service control behavior still exists. Any suggestions?

JohnGaver

Re: How to handle Control Service start errors

Postby JohnGaver » Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:59 am

There's been advanced service commands available in InstallAware for quite some time now, transcending the limitations of what is built-in to Windows Installer:

www.installaware.com/service-failure-actions.htm
John Gaver
InstallAware Skunkworks
InstallAware Multi Platform - Liberating DEB/RPM/PKG/MSI(X) into universal native setups!
Get your free copy today - https://www.installaware.com/installaware-multi-platform.htm

Return to “Technical Support”