Signing setup with a certificate

Got a problem you cannot solve? Try here.
ktp

Signing setup with a certificate

Postby ktp » Fri May 31, 2019 5:30 am

Hi,

we are using InstallAware X9 to create a MSI setup file. We also have a CodeSigning Certificate from DigiCert.

In InstallAware, the "Authenticoe Signature", the PFX/P!2 file is pointing to the cretificate MyCertificate.p12 and selected using the "Browse" button..
Timestamp is filled by InstallAware: http://timestamp.verisign.com/scripts/timstamp.dll.
Password field has the correct password.

When running the build, InstallAware builds the setup file ok, then starts the CodeSigning part. Here is what InstallAware tells:

Created Windows Installer database
Code signing: E:\MyDir\MySetup.msi
Built installation executable
Injected setup languages
Code signing: E:\\MySetup.exe
Double code signing: E:\MyDir\MySetup.exe
Code signing: E:\MyDir\MySetup.exe
Code signing: E:\MyDir\MySetup.exe
Error during build: Code signing failed!

There is no other error message than"Code signing failed!"

When signing the MSI from command prompt, using
C:\"Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\tools\bin\i386\"SignTool sign /f MyCertificate.p12 /p MyPassword "MySetup.msi"
it signs the MSI ok. The returned messages are

Done Adding Additional Store
Succesfully signed: MySetup.msi

Checking the MSI files properties, in section Digital Signatures, it has the certificate details (Name of Signer, Digest algorithm, which is sha1)

How can I find out what goes wrong when trying to sign the .MSI file in InstallAware and how to get this to work?

Thanks,
ktp

SteveDude

Re: Signing setup with a certificate

Postby SteveDude » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:49 pm

Had that happen a couple of times and issue has been mostly caused by the time server. Try a different one until it works. I suggest using the separate Installer Code Signing app included in the suite to test the signing first until you find something that works and then add those same settings to your setup.

Return to “Technical Support”