File Bag Clarification

Got a problem you cannot solve? Try here.
dasjester

File Bag Clarification

Postby dasjester » Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:54 am

I am using InstallAware developer.
I am trying to run a 3rd party installer (with many support files) and I understand I need to use a File Bag.
I have searched the forum for help on this and am still not entirely clear how to use the file bag.

I see examples of in the MSI code to put a : define file bag XX location "c:\location"
And then other reference to run file bag\setup.exe.

I also see references to file bag dialog where you can edit these these commands but I cannot find such a location
in the IDE.

I am unable to find documentation on the details of where to put these command and how to put them - do I edit
the MSI code directly and if so, where do I put the commands. I want to install the 3rd party app before I create and ODBC connection.

When I put the define file bag, is the location where I have the installed files on my c: drive so the build can copy them internally to where they need to go? And then to run them use #variable name#\setup.exe?

Any pointers/detailed examples would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

FrancescoT
Site Admin

Re: File Bag Clarification

Postby FrancescoT » Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:37 pm

"File bag" is really a simple matter, honestly.
You just need to define your "File bag" statement at any place in your MSI script code.
This plug-in provided command includes a collection of files (and folders) with setup. The included files are available only while setup is running and are not permanently installed on the target system. This command is typically used when a collection of files are temporarily required at (un)install time, but not by the installed application itself.

In your setup sequence (your script code), just place a "File bag" statement when you need to run your third party package on the target machine.
For example in your setup script, you may do something similar just before the "ODBC connection" creation:

Code: Select all

Set Variable MY_FILE_BAG_LOCATION to
Define File Bag : c:\third_party_package\*.*, include files recursively, get runtime location of files into variable MY_FILE_BAG_LOCATION
Run Program $MY_FILE_BAG_LOCATION$\setup.exe  (WAIT)

Furthermore, File Bag is widely used by "Application Runtime Scripts" included with IA. You may have a look at one of these for an example (ex. Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7.2 (x86 and x64)).

Finally for more details about "File bag"command options and usage, please consult the IA documentation.

Hope this helps you.
Francesco Toscano
InstallAware Software

White Papers (HowTos) - http://www.installaware.com/publication ... papers.htm
Publications - http://www.installaware.com/publications-review.htm
InstallAware Help -F1 anywhere in the InstallAware IDE

Return to “Technical Support”