Specific, machine suddenly returning "Fatal error during installation" during Install/Remove MSI Package?

Got a problem you cannot solve? Try here.
Coder For Food

Specific, machine suddenly returning "Fatal error during installation" during Install/Remove MSI Package?

Postby Coder For Food » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:58 pm

My platform: IAx13/Win 10 H202

On one dev machine, I am suddenly getting the error, 1603/"Fatal error during installation" on one dev machine, when calling: Install/Remove MSI Package $PRODUCTCODE$[REMOVE=ALL] (get result into variable REMOVEOLD) to remove my previous installation or trying to remove through the OS add/remove programs.

Inside the log file ( attached), I see the following error messages:

====
MSI (s) (AC:00) [09:16:47:862]: Note: 1: 1725
MSI (s) (AC:00) [09:16:47:862]: Note: 1: 2205 2: 3: Error
MSI (s) (AC:00) [09:16:47:862]: Note: 1: 2228 2: 3: Error 4: SELECT `Message` FROM `Error` WHERE `Error` = 1725
MSI (s) (AC:00) [09:16:47:862]: Note: 1: 2205 2: 3: Error
MSI (s) (AC:00) [09:16:47:862]: Note: 1: 2228 2: 3: Error 4: SELECT `Message` FROM `Error` WHERE `Error` = 1709
MSI (s) (AC:00) [09:16:47:862]: Product: MyoVision Software -- Removal failed.
MainEngineThread is returning 1603
===

Again, it seems to be something with this machine specifically that has changed as previously, it worked just fine.

What I have tried:
1) Manually removing the installation in the registry and reinstalling, and then uninstalling as above. Same result.
2) Removing the %TEMP% files. Same error condition.

Any ideas what to try next?
Attachments
my_log.txt
(260.58 KiB) Downloaded 407 times

FrancescoT
Site Admin

Re: Specific, machine suddenly returning "Fatal error during installation" during Install/Remove MSI Package?

Postby FrancescoT » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:47 pm

Francesco Toscano
InstallAware Software

White Papers (HowTos) - http://www.installaware.com/publication ... papers.htm
Publications - http://www.installaware.com/publications-review.htm
InstallAware Help -F1 anywhere in the InstallAware IDE

Coder For Food

Re: Specific, machine suddenly returning "Fatal error during installation" during Install/Remove MSI Package?

Postby Coder For Food » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:11 pm

Hi,
Thanks for the quick response. Unfortunately, while your two links touch on the issue I am having, they do not specifically apply to my situation.

In my case, my installation is always set to All Users. Further, prior to just recently, it worked fine on my dev machine and, it has always worked on other machines. That is why I feel it is something that changed, or hung around, during my debugging install/uninstall of my installations.

Any further suggestions? Does the log file help?

FrancescoT
Site Admin

Postby FrancescoT » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:30 pm

Most of the case (if not all), error code 1603 indicates that a file or a component is being held in use by another process. Due of this, I suggest you to verify if your installer is trying to install/uninstall "something" which seems to be currently in use.

Unfortunately often in such cases, the Windows Installer log doesn't indicate which component is causing the issue.

Hope this helps you.
Francesco Toscano
InstallAware Software

White Papers (HowTos) - http://www.installaware.com/publication ... papers.htm
Publications - http://www.installaware.com/publications-review.htm
InstallAware Help -F1 anywhere in the InstallAware IDE

Coder For Food

Postby Coder For Food » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:08 pm

Hi Francesco
OK. Your narrowing the variables down to the most likely root cause being a component sharing issue gives me a place to start.

Have a good weekend.

Michael

Return to “Technical Support”