Only one file out of two installs

Got a problem you cannot solve? Try here.
JerzyK

Only one file out of two installs

Postby JerzyK » Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:57 am

Hello all,

I encountered strange behaviour when using Install File command. What I want to do is:
    install Firebird,
    override two .conf files.
But what I get with code below is just
    install Firebird,
    override only databases.conf file.

I run installer from InstallAware Studio (quite old version, InstallAware 2012 with runtimes, Build Moooya 9.26.11), or manually from Output Folder.

I tried to install them in different order, but it didn't change a thing.

I tested running those commands without installing Firebird (and having wrong .conf files in place), and it worked like a charm. Firebird installer is made with InnoSetup, but it's execution is supposed to be completed since InstallAware is ordered to wait until completion, so I don't expect problems from that side (maybe wrongly?).

I tried to delete those files in target directory after Firebird installation and before installing my versions, but again, it didn't change a thing.

I can manually override those files after agreeing to use Admin priviliges, which installer should already have.

I checked many times if firebird.conf I try to install is the right one - I copied path from IA project and opend the file - it's content is corrrect.

Code: Select all

if Variable FB_64_BIT Equals TRUE
   Set Variable PROGRESS to 70
   Run Program $SUPPORTDIR$\Firebird-4.0.0.2496-1-x64.exe $CMD_PARAMS$ (WAIT, get result into variable FIREBIRD_INSTALLATION_RESULT)
   if Variable FIREBIRD_INSTALLATION_RESULT not Equals 0
     MessageBox: Informacja, Instalacja Firebird nie powiodła się i zakończyła kodem $FIREBIRD_INSTALLATION_RESULT$.
     else
     Install Files C:\Projects\Product\install\IA\Firebird\Firebird_4_0_configi\databases.conf to $FB_TARGETDIR$
     Install Files C:\Projects\Product\install\IA\Firebird\Firebird_4_0_configi\firebird.conf to $FB_TARGETDIR$
   end
   Set Variable PROGRESS to 90
 end
 Apply Install (get result into variable SUCCESS)

I am puzzled what more can I try to overcome this issue.
I don't think trying to write a plug-in that would override those configs (or edit them) is the right call, since it might take some time and might still prove fruitless. But it is the only path I can see.

So all in all I am looking for your educated guesses what might be preventing my version of firebird.conf from being installed.

FrancescoT
Site Admin

Re: Only one file out of two installs

Postby FrancescoT » Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:18 pm

You may try with deleting such files prior of installing your copies.

So for example:

Code: Select all

Run Program $SUPPORTDIR$\Firebird-4.0.0.2496-1-x64.exe $CMD_PARAMS$ (WAIT, get result into variable FIREBIRD_INSTALLATION_RESULT)

if Variable FIREBIRD_INSTALLATION_RESULT not Equals 0
     MessageBox: Informacja, Instalacja Firebird nie powiodła się i zakończyła kodem $FIREBIRD_INSTALLATION_RESULT$.
else

Set Variable NATIVE_ENGINE to TRUE
   Delete Files \ (when installing)
   Set Variable NATIVE_ENGINE to FALSE

Install Files C:\Projects\Product\install\IA\Firebird\Firebird_4_0_configi\databases.conf to $FB_TARGETDIR$
     Install Files C:\Projects\Product\install\IA\Firebird\Firebird_4_0_configi\firebird.conf to $FB_TARGETDIR$
end

(*) Set Variable NATIVE_ENGINE to TRUE, enables "IA Native Engine" and causes the immediate excution of the "Delete Files" command.
https://www.installaware.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4338#p14960
https://www.installaware.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11338
Francesco Toscano
InstallAware Software

White Papers (HowTos) - http://www.installaware.com/publication ... papers.htm
Publications - http://www.installaware.com/publications-review.htm
InstallAware Help -F1 anywhere in the InstallAware IDE

JerzyK

Re: Only one file out of two installs

Postby JerzyK » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:53 am

It worked like a charm!

Thank you, FrancescoT.