Shortcuts for ALLUSERS not working on silent installation

Got a problem you cannot solve? Try here.
Martin H.

Shortcuts for ALLUSERS not working on silent installation

Postby Martin H. » Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:06 am

My setup is created as single msi file.
In MSICODE I set the variable ALLUSERS=TRUE as early as possible, because I always want to install for all users. I removed the dialog, including the selection "only for me"/"all users", from UI sequence.
When installing (my user has admin rights) the msi with user interaction (double clicking the msi and install it manually) it all works fine. This means my shortcuts are created for all users in path "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs".
But when starting setup in silent mode with command (console is opened with admin rights) "msiexec /i "c:\tmp\test.msi" /quiet /qn /norestart" the shortcuts are created in the roaming folder of the user who started the above command. Adding "ALLUSERS=TRUE" or "ALLUSERS=1" to the msiexec command takes no effekt. Why it behaves different?

FrancescoT
Site Admin

Re: Shortcuts for ALLUSERS not working on silent installation

Postby FrancescoT » Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:12 am

Without having your setup script code is quite difficult to answer your question.

At any rate and If you kept the default script logic, to force a PER-MACHINE installation, it's enough to set the variable ALLUSERS as TRUE at the very beginning of the main script file, and of course in such case, it will be also necessary to exclude from the setup sequence the the dialog which allows the selection "only for me"/"all users".

Alternatively to execute the silent installation from command line of the MSI package:
msiexec.exe /i "mypackage.msi" CMDLINE="ALLUSERS=TRUE /s"
Francesco Toscano
InstallAware Software

White Papers (HowTos) - http://www.installaware.com/publication ... papers.htm
Publications - http://www.installaware.com/publications-review.htm
InstallAware Help -F1 anywhere in the InstallAware IDE

Return to “Technical Support”