Runtime error in setup script

Got a problem you cannot solve? Try here.
pfennig

Runtime error in setup script

Postby pfennig » Thu May 19, 2022 3:24 am

Our projects consists of several script files each.
A handfull of our customers get the attached error message during the installation.
Runtime_error_in_setup_script.png
Runtime_error_in_setup_script.png (17.62 KiB) Viewed 1664 times

Is it possible to add the offending line, not just its number?
Or is there a way, to find out what line it actually is?
Best regards
pfennig

FrancescoT
Site Admin

Re: Runtime error in setup script

Postby FrancescoT » Tue May 24, 2022 12:56 pm

Currently there is no way to get the offending line (I'll try to forward such request).

Generally, this error is due the presence of an incorrect conditional nested sequence ("if/else/end" statements).

The error returns the number of the offending script line.

As first, you should check if you can verify the presence of an incorrect conditional sequence around the reported line.

Hope this helps you.
Francesco Toscano
InstallAware Software

White Papers (HowTos) - http://www.installaware.com/publication ... papers.htm
Publications - http://www.installaware.com/publications-review.htm
InstallAware Help -F1 anywhere in the InstallAware IDE

pfennig

Postby pfennig » Wed May 25, 2022 12:42 am

FrancescoT wrote:Currently there is no way to get the offending line (I'll try to forward such request).

Thank you. We use madExcept for error reporting. It gives more detailed information including the call stack to the point where the error occurs.

FrancescoT wrote:As first, you should check if you can verify the presence of an incorrect conditional sequence around the reported line.

It's hard to find out in a script that includes several others. That's why I posted my request to get more than just a number.
When there are incorrect conditional sequences I usually get the error message already during the build.
Since there are only few customers receiving this message, more information about the call in line 329 would be appreciated.
Best regards

pfennig

JohnGaver

Postby JohnGaver » Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:28 pm

Your scripts are flattened at build-time.

You could deduce the exact script where the error occurs by manually simulating a "flattening" of your scripts (just pasting all includes into a single monolithic script) and then locating the offending line number in that merged single script (thus identifying the ultimate script and line number where the issue is likely occurring).

Please note that conditional compilation via compiler variables may affect line numbering, too.
John Gaver
InstallAware Skunkworks
InstallAware Multi Platform - Liberating DEB/RPM/PKG/MSI(X) into universal native setups!
Get your free copy today - https://www.installaware.com/installaware-multi-platform.htm

Return to “Technical Support”