Have to rebuild Visual C++ Runtime with an update to authenticode or they fail

Got a problem you cannot solve? Try here.
BartWilson

Have to rebuild Visual C++ Runtime with an update to authenticode or they fail

Postby BartWilson » Fri Nov 04, 2022 5:17 pm

We don't include the Application Runtimes with our Installer as they are provided via the Download URL's in the Web Media Block however they are prerequisites for our product installations thus in our Check Application Pre-Requisites we have the:
"Include Script: checkVC1416_27012_x64"
And in the Install Application Pre-Requisites we have the
"[DEFINE WEB MEDIA Microsoft...., Exclude from build]"
Include Script: setupVC1416_27012_x64

It seems like anytime that I change anything with the way our products are run through the Authenticode Signature or even going from the InstallAware X15 32.10 to 32.23 that we cannot keep using the already built (+signed) microsoft visual c++ runtime for visual studio 2017 v.15.9 (x64).7zip that was signed with 32.10 as during the installation it throws an error:
vs2017_install_error.jpg
vs2017_install_error.jpg (20.75 KiB) Viewed 2894 times

At another time when the timestamp server I was using stopped working and I switched to another the installation failed also.
I've confirmed the Runtime gets extracted into the C:\ProgramData\{GUID}\Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime for Visual Studio 2017 v.15.9 (x64)\mFileBagIDE.dll\6ABE32B1 fine as "vc_redist.x64.exe" and I can run this file with the same options the "setupVC1416_27012_x64" has without any error. I've tried adding "/log <logfile>" into the "setupVC1416_27012_x64" to see if that shows anything but it is almost like the file never even gets run.

I have to go into web media blocks and build a new version (+include signing it) of the runtime with the updated version of InstallAware or signing process, upload it to a new download location (I have to keep the old runtimes around for our older product releases) and update the Download URL.

Has anyone else had issues with the Visual C++ runtime libraries? It doesn't seem to happen with other runtimes that will install. I have a Windows 10 VM that I can revert back to a fairly old setup that doesn't have many runtimes to test out these changes and we've had customers complain back when we went from InstallAware X6 to InstallAware X12.

Does the InstallAware code for "Run Program $VC1416_27012_FILES_X64$\VC_redist.x64.exe" do some sort of weird check on the file or did the "Define File Bag :" not actually find the VC_redist.x64.exe to run?

As a follow on I changed the setupVC MSI script to show where it expects to find the vc_redist.x64.exe. This is the issue in that the new installer is not pointing at the right location it appears:
filebag_location_wrong.jpg
filebag_location_wrong.jpg (66.01 KiB) Viewed 2867 times

FrancescoT
Site Admin

Re: Have to rebuild Visual C++ Runtime with an update to authenticode or they fail

Postby FrancescoT » Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:42 am

I suggest you to give a look at the following topic:
https://www.installaware.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11193
Web Media Blocks are "strickly dependent" on the "source files" path specified with each installation command. If this path changes for some reason, successive setup builds will become incompatible with previously generated Web Media Blocks.
Francesco Toscano
InstallAware Software

White Papers (HowTos) - http://www.installaware.com/publication ... papers.htm
Publications - http://www.installaware.com/publications-review.htm
InstallAware Help -F1 anywhere in the InstallAware IDE

BartWilson

Re: Have to rebuild Visual C++ Runtime with an update to authenticode or they fail

Postby BartWilson » Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:09 pm

Thanks for the response. You've confirmed my concern here. I couldn't figure out why anytime I updated InstallAware my web runtimes would break. Since I took over the InstallAware stuff at my company I wasn't there when things were setup and didn't realize that we were running into this issue.

I'll work on figuring out how to best store the runtimes outside of the InstallAware installation to reduce this issue in the future.

BartWilson

Postby BartWilson » Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:01 pm

As a follow on here, I'm confused in why I'm seeing issues with the installation of the same version I use on other systems creating a different path.
Web Media Blocks are "strickly dependent" on the "source files" path specified with each installation command

Does this tie to the installation of InstallAware itself or the actual source location of the project being built?

I have two systems with InstallAware X15 32.10 installed that are pooled for the product builds. I've been trying to setup a third system and have installed the same version and same license on that system. However for my testing, I've setup the project in C: and run a build. It is failing on the Visual C++ Runtime block during the installation. On the two systems currently running, they both use the same path in E: to host the InstallAware project files.

When you mentioned "source files" I was thinking you meant the InstallAware installation but maybe that isn't the case here?

JohnGaver

Postby JohnGaver » Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:46 am

Web Media Blocks can't know how to resolve your files consistently across versions, unless you are using the same paths for the source files in your projects.

You may always use subst'ed folders to ensure path consistency across devices.
John Gaver
InstallAware Skunkworks
InstallAware Multi Platform - Liberating DEB/RPM/PKG/MSI(X) into universal native setups!
Get your free copy today - https://www.installaware.com/installaware-multi-platform.htm

BartWilson

Postby BartWilson » Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:13 pm

Thanks John. Yeah I actually copied the runtimes folder to a static location in the E: drive on my build systems. Even when changing between versions of the InstallAware X15 or X16 I didn't have to rebuild the runtimes. Obviously I had to change the location in the setup .mia files each runtime we use to find the files in that new location. I used "#IA_RUNTIME_DIR#" for the "Define File Bag:" and then pass that into the installer build with a IA_RUNTIME_DIR="E:\....\runtime....".

Return to “Technical Support”