Custom directories in the IDE

Got a problem you cannot solve? Try here.
iesoccer

Custom directories in the IDE

Postby iesoccer » Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:17 pm

One feature that I can't seem to find but would be very handy in the IDE is the ability to create the destination directories in the View mode. I need to compartmentalize my application files because the app can be installed in two different configurations.

For instance I have the Client files in one directory used by my old setup program, the Server files in another, the Reports directory in another. My old program (the update was WAY too expensive) allowed me to designate directories/folders in the destination window of the IDE. In InstallAware I have to live with the folder names containing the original files unless I want to go to the Code view and manually change each line. This is very time consuming.

If I could create the folder with the name I want without having to do it manually after the fact I could get a lot more work done a lot faster.

Is such a feature in the works by any chance?

Thanks,
Jerry :?

sinan
Site Admin

Postby sinan » Mon Apr 25, 2005 2:53 pm

Jerry

This sounds like a good suggestion.
I'm not sure what you're asking for though:

1) Do you want to rename the target folder of a group of files in the visual IDE? OR

2) Do you want to be able to add files in the visual IDE to a new target folder?

If the latter, you can already do this...just add the file, double-click it in the visual view, and enter the new target path.

Sinan

iesoccer

Postby iesoccer » Mon Apr 25, 2005 3:21 pm

It's the first one that I want to do, kind of.

What i want is to be able to right-click on the destination like $PROGRAMFILES$ and add my own custom folders.

So far, I get around it by creating a folder with the appropriate name, making sure there is a file in it, adding the file so the folder appears under $PROGRAMFILES$ (or what ever folder). Then I can go anywhere else on my harddrive and add other files to the new (and correct) folder. After adding at least one file from the right location I can delete the original file I used to force the software to recognize this new folder name to install into.

I hope that helps clarify.

Jerry

sinan
Site Admin

Postby sinan » Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:49 am

Yes, it does. You don't need to do to all that effort though. Simply add a single file that will actually go into the new folder, into an existing folder. Then double-click that file in the lower right hand corner, and edit by hand the value that shows in the destination location. When you click OK, it will update the folder list, and you can add the remaining files directly in there.

Does this help?

iesoccer

Postby iesoccer » Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:47 am

That is a bit easier. Thanks for the tip.

Return to “Technical Support”