Error 2705

Got a problem you cannot solve? Try here.
ssloka

Error 2705

Postby ssloka » Fri May 01, 2009 4:25 pm

When applying patches on certain machines I get different error codes (2705, etc). I've turned on the logging and it does not offer much. I've read where it deals back to error 1603 which the solutions do not really seem to apply.

I'm just curious as to the steps to trouble shoot these errors as well as why patching is so difficult. I've yet to get a good patch for a new version of my software.

I know this is a sort of vague question, just not sure what to offer up since it's so unclear as to what is wrong.

Thanks,

~ Steve

Bar_BQ

Postby Bar_BQ » Mon May 11, 2009 4:17 am

bokkie

Postby bokkie » Mon May 11, 2009 4:39 am

It's sometimes helpful if you create a new project and add the installed items one-by-one to see if you can identify which inclusion tips it over the edge. The corollary is to remove items one-by-one. There are many reasons for 2705. Most of the MSI error codes are documented on Microsoft's site but expect generic explanations in many cases.

Don't overlook the angle of the sun. That probably causes 2705 as well.
Peter. Smartly dressed, he still resembles an unmade bed.
InstallAware MVP

ssloka

Postby ssloka » Tue May 12, 2009 8:20 am

I will keep trying to dig. The problem is the installer works just fine, just only when I go to patch does it give me this error. Some machines patch fine others give this error.

Is there a way to debug a patch?

~ Steve

lewisv

Error 2705

Postby lewisv » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:07 pm

I am getting this error also.

The same patch worked on several other machines just fine, and is not working on this one.

Any suggestions? I am really lost on how to even start on this one.

thanks

andcrumx

Re: Error 2705

Postby andcrumx » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:46 pm

I have the same problem, the installer works fine, but the patch returns me the error 2705. The 1603 error is displayed in the Event Log. Any idea how I can identify the problem, I use X4 - 05.13.2016

Is there a way to debug a patch?

FrancescoT
Site Admin

Postby FrancescoT » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:11 pm

Dear Lewisv,

error 1603 is a generic error generated by the Microsoft Windows Installer (MSI) engine, indicating that a problem occurred during the install/un-install process of the package.

This error is generally not specific to any particular product, but tends to be specific to the system on which you are installing.

The Microsoft support article, You receive an "error 1603: A fatal error occurred during installation" error message when you try to install a Windows Installer package, addresses three possible causes for this error message. Of the three conditions listed by Microsoft, insufficient access permissions is the most commonly seen cause. Check the user rights and the permissions on the installation folder and verify that you are logged on to the computer as an administrator.

In addition to those conditions, the following list includes other potential causes for a 1603 error.

A file is locked or In-Use and cannot be overwritten or removed

A certain file on the machine is locked, or setup attempts to reboot because of a locked file, which fails. To make sure that a locked file is not causing the error, close all applications running in the background, reboot the machine, and run setup again.

The Windows TEMP folders are full.

The system temp directory is not clean. This is the temp directory that setup extracts files to and runs from. Either the temp directory does not have an adequate amount of space, or it has too many files that may conflict with setup files.

Clean the default temp directory and free up hard-disk space by removing unneeded files.
1.On the Windows Start menu, enter %TEMP% in the "Search programs and files" edit field.
2.In the Temp folder, press CTRL+A to select all the files and folders contained in the Temp directory and delete them.

Not enough disk space

This error is known to occur on machines that do not have enough disk space to install the setup and store rollback files. This space is generally required on the root drive even if the setup may be installed to a different drive.

Make sure that you have enough space on the root drive of the machine. This space is required by setup to uncompress files in the temp directory and to store rollback information in the Windows directory of the machine. Even though the setup may be installed on another drive, its imperative that the machine have at least twice the space as the size of the setup on the root drive (the drive with the Windows operating system installed on it).

Setup files were corrupted during extraction

Exit or turn off conflicting and competing programs, including such things as virus scanners, word processors, spreadsheets, web browsers, system utilities, etc. Then launch the installation again.

Hope this helps you.

Regards
Francesco Toscano
InstallAware Software

White Papers (HowTos) - http://www.installaware.com/publication ... papers.htm
Publications - http://www.installaware.com/publications-review.htm
InstallAware Help -F1 anywhere in the InstallAware IDE

jdmufc

Postby jdmufc » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:32 am

Just to follow up, I had the "fatal error" trying to install our product on a 64 bit Windows 10 machine - it turned out to be Windows Updates that were out of date.

First of all we had been unable to patch the product, then we were unable to uninstall it from Control Panel at all. The IA package advised us to uninstall it from Control Panel, but it wasn't appearing in Control Panel! So, I used the Microsoft tool to fix the registry (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... or-removed) - it found our product and then fixed the registry allowing us to uninstall successfully. So far so good...

But after that we were getting the "fatal error" trying to to install it again from scratch. We tried all kinds of things such as a PC restart, running the package as administrator, installing into a directory I had created to guarantee permissions, checking folder permissions for the SYSTEM user etc - all with no luck.

Then I checked Windows updates and they were about 3 months out of date. I ran these and restarted so it was fully patched and lo and behold - the package installation was then successful. Perhaps one of the updates was partially completed meaning the machine was not in a state to allow anything else to be installed - who knows. But for users who experience this error in Windows 10, a further check should be the Windows patching

Hope this helps someone one day!

FrancescoT
Site Admin

Postby FrancescoT » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:58 am

Thanks for sharing!

Regards
Francesco Toscano
InstallAware Software

White Papers (HowTos) - http://www.installaware.com/publication ... papers.htm
Publications - http://www.installaware.com/publications-review.htm
InstallAware Help -F1 anywhere in the InstallAware IDE