Installer with X64 and x86 in one

Got a problem you cannot solve? Try here.
JohnGalt

Installer with X64 and x86 in one

Postby JohnGalt » Thu May 07, 2009 2:37 pm

How do I create an installer that will install the right pre-reqs for each OS?

I don't care about my installer itself, I care about the pre-reqs, but when I add the x64 and the x86 I get an error on x86 machines telling me that x64 is required.

I should be able to choose both and have the appropriate one install automatically depending on the OS (i.e. SQL Server 2008 sp1 shouldn't install the x86 version on x64 machines, it should install the x64 edition regardless because it's WAY faster on x64 machines with multiple cores)

Also, is there a pre-req for the SQL Client 2008? This is needed for our network installer.

Also, I would like to request that you make a pre-req builder that allows us to create our own sort of like the one for microsoft's (crappy) packaging system for these.

Also, anyone know how to script it so that once my uninstall is complete, that SQL Server 2008 also gets uninstalled? (i.e. the instance is removed)

I don't want people to have that left on their computers.

Thanks!

JohnGalt

Postby JohnGalt » Wed May 13, 2009 10:16 am

*bump*

rasmusw

Postby rasmusw » Tue May 19, 2009 3:09 am

I have also wondered about this. The combined x64 and x86 support is one of the USP's on the website, but I have not been able to figure it out, and also not wrt. installing pre-requisites.
Some sample projects/scripts would be nice.

JohnGalt

Postby JohnGalt » Tue May 19, 2009 7:41 am

What does "UPS's" and "wrt" mean?

Is there someone from Installaware that can answer this please?

rasmusw

Postby rasmusw » Tue May 19, 2009 7:46 am

Sorry.
USP: Unique Selling Point
Wrt: With regards to

integrated x64 and x86 installer: http://www.installaware.com/64bit-support.htm

MichaelNesmith

Postby MichaelNesmith » Tue May 19, 2009 5:15 pm

You use the Set 64 Bit Mode command to swiftly enter and exit 64 bit installation mode. Open up this command and press F1 for help on it.

The application runtimes are granular for 32 and 64 bits. This gives you the greatest control over how to install them, and mix/match them as you please using your own MSIcode scripting.

You also get the full sources of each runtime installer, again in MSIcode, so its only a matter of dropping to the MSIcode editor for examples of 64 bit mode and customizing default behavior to suit your requirements.
Michael Nesmith
InstallAware
Home of The Next Generation MSI Installer
Get your free copy today - http://www.installaware.com/

JohnGalt

Postby JohnGalt » Tue May 19, 2009 5:27 pm

Michael,

My point is that as soon as I build an installer with both pre-reqs it tells me that it's 64 bit only and exits out on 32bit OSes.

rasmusw

Postby rasmusw » Wed May 20, 2009 1:16 am

MichaelNesmith wrote:The application runtimes are granular for 32 and 64 bits. This gives you the greatest control over how to install them, and mix/match them as you please using your own MSIcode scripting.

You also get the full sources of each runtime installer, again in MSIcode, so its only a matter of dropping to the MSIcode editor for examples of 64 bit mode and customizing default behavior to suit your requirements.

So, if I understand correctly, we are to edit the runtime installer scripts, to remove the lines with

Code: Select all

MessageBox: $TITLE$ Setup, $TITLE$ requires a 64 bit operating System. ....
Terminate Installation

and because both the x86 and x64 pre-requisite scripts are included in the main script, IA will run through them both and install the correct one?

MichaelNesmith

Postby MichaelNesmith » Wed May 20, 2009 5:40 am

Yes, that's the idea. To keep each runtime separate and granular, so adding one runtime does not blow up your script with unneeded x86 or x64 versions, we are providing distinct runtimes with scripts that you can trivially customize.
Michael Nesmith

InstallAware

joltman

Postby joltman » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:58 am

MichaelNesmith wrote:Yes, that's the idea. To keep each runtime separate and granular, so adding one runtime does not blow up your script with unneeded x86 or x64 versions, we are providing distinct runtimes with scripts that you can trivially customize.

Where can I find such examples?

AndreasLindenthal

Postby AndreasLindenthal » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:35 am

Hello Michael,

I use InstallAware Express and I have the same problem like JohnGalt

My point is that as soon as I build an installer with both pre-reqs it tells me that it's 64 bit only and exits out on 32bit OSes.

Is there a solution or do I need to generate to separate installations ?

Best regards

Andreas Lindenthal

MichaelNesmith

Postby MichaelNesmith » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:19 pm

With Express, since you don't have script access, I'm afraid there is no alternative.
Michael Nesmith

InstallAware

JohnGalt

Postby JohnGalt » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:20 pm

This shouldn't be blocking installs at all by default... It should be fixed so that this scenario works out of the box without modification.

MichaelNesmith

Postby MichaelNesmith » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:18 pm

There's only so much you can do with the visual UI in Express - the underlying MSIcode technology in InstallAware is very versatile and harder to render visually compared to, say, InstallShield - since we don't hard-wire anything into your setup unlike InstallShield and instead generate MSIcode for every item that is visually edited in the graphical IDE.

This limitation applies to Express at any rate, and is a good reason to upgrade to at least Developer with scripting to leverage full benefits of InstallAware's MSIcode.
Michael Nesmith

InstallAware

JohnGalt

Postby JohnGalt » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:19 pm

Sorry for taking so long to reply.

My point is that out of the box, the pre-reqs should automatically install the right versions. It is not an error that it can't install SQL Server 2008 x64 on an x86 machine, it should just skip it and instead install SQL Server 2008 x86. But if both fail, then that's an error.

I've had this conversation with MS about stuff before. MDAC used to error out if it was already installed and there was no way to prevent it. It took me months to convince them that MDAC already being installed is not an error condition. The same applies here.

Return to “Technical Support”