custom logging parameters?

Got a problem you cannot solve? Try here.
ericgentry

custom logging parameters?

Postby ericgentry » Thu May 14, 2009 6:29 pm

I know that we can use /L=<logfile>, but that turns logging all the way up. This equates to the msi command line option /l*v.

I would like to be able to specify, especially for my "sub" MSIs a different logging command.

Is there anyway to do this?

I can try overriding InstallAware's call to MsiEnableLog() by using the "Call DLL Function" method. Maybe that will do it.

Anyone?

Thanks,
Eric

ericgentry

Re: custom logging parameters?

Postby ericgentry » Fri May 15, 2009 11:51 am

ericgentry wrote:II can try overriding InstallAware's call to MsiEnableLog() by using the "Call DLL Function" method. Maybe that will do it.

That didn't help.

I am thinking of avoiding all of the hassles of InstallAware and just going back to writing my own bootstrapper. What a pity, the IA concept has such great potential.

ericgentry

Re: custom logging parameters?

Postby ericgentry » Fri May 15, 2009 11:55 am

ericgentry wrote:I am thinking of avoiding all of the hassles of InstallAware and just going back to writing my own bootstrapper. What a pity, the IA concept has such great potential.

FYI, one way to accomplish this is to set the registry key for 'automatic' windows logging (HKLM\\Software\\Policies\\Microsoft\\Windows\\Installer -> Logging=poem), but it is just not worth the hassle of trying to find out which file was created, and IA don't provide much functionality for doing custom tasks.

See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223300 or do a search for "voicewarmup" for info if you want to know more about setting that reg key.

Return to “Technical Support”