Install/uninstall multiple products companion resource

Got a problem you cannot solve? Try here.
albel

Install/uninstall multiple products companion resource

Postby albel » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:34 pm

Hi,

I've got a set of requirements that I've tried to work around, but can't seem to get 100%. It involves multiple product installations and a non-vital 'Tools' directory that should remain no matter which product is removed nor in which order.

The scenario is that up to three related products can be installed in a Services directory and a Tools directory must be present in the Services directory. No matter which product(s) are installed it should be there. If all three products are installed it should be there no matter which order they were installed. This Tools directory should remain there no matter which order they are uninstalled. When the last product is uninstalled everything including the Services directory should be removed (of course unless any post-install files are added to these directories). The Tools directory should not have a separate uninstaller present in the 'Add or Remove Programs' list in Windows.

I have tried a couple approaches by making the installers of the three products responsible for detecting the Tools files, but I can't get the Tools resource uninstalled independently from the product that installed it. I think I know the answer (an independent Tools installer), but how do I keep it out of the Add or Remove Programs list?

There are a lot of combinations of statements and options in IA9. Does anyone know of a combination that can accomplish the above set of requirements?

Thanks in advance,

ab

Return to “Technical Support”