Repair Not Working

Got a problem you cannot solve? Try here.
Tiago

Repair Not Working

Postby Tiago » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:08 am

Hi there.

I'm finishing my installer project and now that Install/Uninstall works fine, I'm trying to put Modify and Repair to work as well. As a starting point, I've tested my Repair function and unfortunately, found out that it simply does not work. In my test, I erased exactly one file, one INI entry and one registry key and then put the installer to run in Repair mode and found out it simply does not bring back the file, nor the INI entry or the registry key whatsoever.

Checking my MSIcode in debug mode, I realized that it executes exactly the same lines that a ordinary First Install would, especially the purple Windows Installer lines, including "Apply Install". Is this a Windows Installer misbehaviour or did I miss something?

Thanks in advance.
Tiago Rocha
Product Technology
www.ppi-multitask.com.br

neillans

Postby neillans » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:26 pm

Hi Tiago,

Can you confirm that you are using InstallAware 9.06?

If so, can you submit a reproducible example project?
Andy Neillans

Tiago

Postby Tiago » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:04 pm

Hi, Neillans.

Sure I have it.
I'm sending it to you right now.

Thank you very much! [:)]

File Attached:

Projeto.rar
Tiago Rocha

Product Technology

www.ppi-multitask.com.br

Tiago

Postby Tiago » Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:39 pm

So... nothing yet? :(
Tiago Rocha

Product Technology

www.ppi-multitask.com.br

Tiago

Postby Tiago » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:09 am

In addition to the question mentioned above, as far as I could find out by myself, InstallAware does not come with the Modify function fully implemented on its default templates (eg. If I have two of my product features already installed on the system and I try to modify the installation to add a third feature, the default template performs the installation of all of the four features instead of installing just the new selected one).

What am I supposed to change in order to have a real Modify option (and not a "Reinstall")?
Thanks in advance.
Tiago Rocha

Product Technology

www.ppi-multitask.com.br

neillans

Postby neillans » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:29 pm

Hi Tiago,

We do not provide the logic for handling the modify option in our templates, as this is very project specific! You will need to add enough logic to verify what the changed component is, and then execute your own relevant install files routines.
Andy Neillans

Tiago

Postby Tiago » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:54 pm

Hi Neillans,

Suppose I'm using only Windows Installer logic. What am I to do in order to MODIFY my installation?
More specifically, how to remove a previously installed component while keeping the others?

Thank you!
Tiago Rocha

Product Technology

www.ppi-multitask.com.br

Tiago

Postby Tiago » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:15 am

Hi there

What's the average response time for support tickets?

Thank you!
Tiago Rocha

Product Technology

www.ppi-multitask.com.br

Tiago

Postby Tiago » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:22 am

After thoroughly searching and asking on many topics, Michael Nesmith finally pointed me out this whitepaper that explains about MSIcode. I have implemented these concepts in a test project using simplest blank setup and everything worked just fine, with everything handled correctly. After that I debugged my project line by line, taking notes on which purple lines were read or not, and found out that removing components from my installer simply was not working. I'm almost sure that the problem lies within my project, but I can't find out just why.

Please, what can I do? Is there some additional test I could do? Some whitepaper I could read? Please... it's been some months since I started this thread and still here I am, facing the same problem. No progress at all with this Windows Installer feature that should be built-in and default for IA.

PLEASE HELP ME
Tiago Rocha

Product Technology

www.ppi-multitask.com.br

Return to “Technical Support”