Upgrading setup to a newer version..

Got a problem you cannot solve? Try here.
serina

Upgrading setup to a newer version..

Postby serina » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:01 am

Hi there,

I would like to upgrade my setup to a newer version...I've implement multiple instances in my project as well....Now, the problem that I'm facing is whenever I run the latest version, the 'multiple instances' msg box will appear whereby I'll choose NO in order to only update the default instance of my setup....but then my 'Maintenance' dialog page is not being executed whereas there appears a page displaying

"Your system lacks the following pre-requisites required to install #TITLE# ....... Click Next to install the required pre-requisites. Setup will resume once the required pre-requisites have been installed successfully."

Can someone suggest a way to solve this so that I could upgrade my setup successfully??

Thanks!!

Regards,
Serina

neillans

Postby neillans » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:39 pm

Wow -- this one is very off the standard implementation route :)

Unfortunatly, this is going to be a MSI Code logic issue -- you will need to step through your setup in Debug mode (in the IDE) to work out what is happening.
Andy Neillans

serina

Postby serina » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:05 pm

Alright...will check it out!!

Thanks Andy! :wink:

Regards,
Serina

serina

Postby serina » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:17 am

Hi there,

Would like to inquire certain things here....lets say user have already using a product of version1 and would like to upgrade the same product into version2, they should be able to upgrade the product successfully without removing/uninstalling the version1 on their machine....but could straight away run the version2 to upgrade the product... So, could this be performed in InstallAware???....If it is possible, could someone please explain how to implement this????

Hoping for a feedback soon..

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Serina

serina

Postby serina » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:41 pm

Any feedback pls...

serina

Postby serina » Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:48 am

I wants to insert the upgrade feature in my Maintenance dialog....and when user runs the latest version of the setup, the application must be able to upgrade the previous version of the setup without making user to uninstall the old version. How could this possible to implement in InstallAware???

*I'm running out of time and need to get this done as soon as possible..... Would really really appreciate if someone could help me out here!!!!

neillans

Postby neillans » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:31 pm

Ok, the ONLY way to do an upgrade without any form of uninstall, is called a Patch :)

InstallAware is capable of carrying out an upgrade using a "full" installer, however in order to do this it will ALWAYS carry out an uninstallation.

Please clarify what you are looking for.
Andy Neillans

serina

Postby serina » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:33 am

Thanks Andy for the feedback!!

Well, I've tried working on the patching....and it seems that patching only support and is applicable for minor changes and upgrades within the same version. What I would like my installer to perform is it should upgrade my Version 1.0 setup to Version 2.0 setup....complete installation.

InstallAware is capable of carrying out an upgrade using a "full" installer, however in order to do this it will ALWAYS carry out an uninstallation.

If this is the case, it doesn't matter if an uninstallation will be carried out earlier or not..but then it should auto uninstall the setup and don't force the user to uninstall it. Therefore, how to perform this upgrade using the 'full product installers' ???...Any guidelines which can be referred will be much useful...

Thank you!!!

serina

Postby serina » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:20 pm

I've read through on 'Kinds of Updates' in the 'To Publish Web Updates' whitepaper....and now I would like to know in more details about the 'Full Product Installers'...

Could someone please explain how to work on this 'Full Product Installers' or is there any related publication or guideline which can be referred to???

Hoping for a feedback urgently!!! :cry:

Thanks in advance!

neillans

Postby neillans » Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:26 pm

From your last but one post, you should be able to achieve what you are after by simply keeping the same product code in your installers; the built in installer logic will ensure a correct removal of the old product before installing a new updated copy.
Andy Neillans

serina

Postby serina » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:52 pm

Thanks Andy for your feedback.. :D

Gosh! I wasn't aware that InstallAware upgrades the setup just after uninstalling the setup during the 'prereq' and the 'progressprereq' dialog. I couldn't detect it because i set the Display Dialog - 'prereq' and 'progressprereq' in a comment mode. Hmm...my mistake!

Anyway, sorry for all the trouble and once again thanks to Andy for guiding me till the end...Thanks alot!!

Regards,
Serina

Return to “Technical Support”