how to build small setup which in turn downloads big setup?

Got a problem you cannot solve? Try here.
bhaiwal

how to build small setup which in turn downloads big setup?

Postby bhaiwal » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:56 am

Hi!

Problem:
Our Setup size is around 30MB (VB6 + VB.Net hybrid application). But we wish to make some pilot setup, or whatever they call it of 10MB or less size, which can be downloaded and installed by the user. While installing this setup, the setup should download the remaining 20MB from our web-servers. This should be just like the installation of Google-Chrome browser.

How can we achieve this using InstallAware? Can anybody help me please?

Thanks in advance

neillans

Postby neillans » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:29 pm

Yup, you can do this -- we call it a Web Setup.

You can parition your project up so that some files are stored in the actual setup stub, and others are downloaded -- and you do add logic to ensure that things are only downloaded if they are not already on the users machine (for example for runtimes that are commonly distributed).
Andy Neillans

bhaiwal

can anybody guide me how to do this?

Postby bhaiwal » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:49 pm

Thanks a lot neillans for the reply. Can you please tell me how to do this? Can you refer me some document/white-paper in this regard?

Because I had tried this but couldn't succeed. In fact I really don't know how to do this partitioning.

bhaiwal

how to create web-media blocks of my files?

Postby bhaiwal » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:28 am

Actually, what I exactly need is: "How to create custom web-media blocks. i.e. how I can create web-media block of some of my files, those I distribute in my setup, like Images and other resources?"

The white paper, "WebAware Installation Technology (Partial Web Deployment) " isn't really of any help in this regard. I had gone thru this.

bhaiwal

can anybody reply, please?

Postby bhaiwal » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:47 pm

Can anybody reply my query please? It's really very urgent for me.

Thanks in advance

alibaba

Postby alibaba » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:42 am

bhaiwal

yes, but how to create web-media blocks?

Postby bhaiwal » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:06 am

Hi alibaba,

thanks for your reply.

I have gone thru this document. But what I really want to know is how to create media-blocks from my files? I really couldn't get any hint in this regard from this document.

Can you help me?

Can anybody help me. I am basically not an InstallAware professional, but a developer. So this might be very simple, but I really wonder how to do it

alibaba

Postby alibaba » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:19 am

I only know about web-media blocks what is written in this document, too. :-) AFAIK the web media blocks are generated by installaware at built time, if you have defined them and you are building a web release.

Return to “Technical Support”