Upgrade control

Got a problem you cannot solve? Try here.
matthewj

Upgrade control

Postby matthewj » Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:15 pm

Can I ask what it is that causes the product version to be updated, which then triggers the upgrade option of the installer?

The reason I ask is that I've done an installer for a demo version and for a full version. The only difference is a file that is changed by FinalBuilder. I then do a build using FinalBuilder (version 3). On the destination system, I then install the demo, and then run the main installer. The main installer thinks this is the same install, and offers the change/repair/remove option. There are two issues here:

1. The repair option doesn't update the main EXE to the new repair. Probably fair enough, depending on where it is actually getting the info from.

2. It should be offering an upgrade option instead.

How do I trigger the upgrade option to occur from outside the InstallAware IDE, that is, update the version info during a build?

Many thanks,

Matthew

sinan
Site Admin

Postby sinan » Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:29 am

You can do this by checking the Project->Options->Build->Output->Change revision code automatically upon rebuild setting. This will trigger upgrades.

In case it seems a bit excessive to you to uninstall and reinstall the entire product this way just to replace the EXE, use scripting to test if you are moving from demo to full and the Call DLL Function plugin with the CopyFile API to overwrite your EXE. This would have the downside, of course, that future Repair's would remove your new EXE again.

Good news on this front - the next update to InstallAware will have differential patching support, ideal for use in settings like these :lol:. Please contact me privately if you'd like to receive betas.

matthewj

Postby matthewj » Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:33 am

sinan wrote:You can do this by checking the Project->Options->Build->Output->Change revision code automatically upon rebuild setting. This will trigger upgrades.

Thanks - this option is already set. What is it that actually does the change - the IDE or the command line builder? I wonder if it is because mine are all called from FinalBuilder that this isn't getting incremented?

Matthew

sinan
Site Admin

Postby sinan » Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:27 pm

The IDE does the change.
I think we were talking with Vincent though to make sure that FB also works properly and ups the version. I think he added something like that.

Return to “Technical Support”