Get/Set IIS Property obsolete with IIS7

Got a problem you cannot solve? Try here.
adi

Get/Set IIS Property obsolete with IIS7

Postby adi » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:07 am

Hello,

Do you plan to introduce some new commands for IIS7 that will replace the "Get IIS Property" and "Set IIS Property" ?
Both of the existing commands rely on the IIS Metabase which was discontinued in IIS7...

IIS7 has a different approach to the configuration of the server. The APPCMD can replace the "Set IIS Property", but using it as a replacement for "GET IIS Property" is a little problematic...

I think that new commands that will make use of the new architecture are needed.

Best regards,
adi

MichaelNesmith

Re: Get/Set IIS Property obsolete with IIS7

Postby MichaelNesmith » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:35 pm

Got any specific suggestions in mind - we'd love to hear about them.
Michael Nesmith
InstallAware
Home of The Next Generation MSI Installer
Get your free copy today - http://www.installaware.com/

adi

Postby adi » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:26 am

Hi,

I thought about a wrapper for the APPCMD command. Currently with the cmd.exe /c you can use it to set some IIS properties, however reading properties requires to use some tricks... What I do is:
1. redirect the output from the APPCMD to a temporary file
2. read the temporary file content

Example:

Code: Select all

Set Variable TEMPFILE to
 Get Temporary File Name into Variable TEMPFILE
 Run Program cmd.exe /c %systemroot%\system32\inetsrv\APPCMD list vdir "$CONFIG_IIS_WEBSITE$/" /text:physicalPath >$TEMPFILE$ (WAIT)
 Read from Text File $TEMPFILE$ into Variable WEBSITE_ROOT_PATH

It would be nice to have a command which would allow to get the output directly.

Best regards,
adi

neillans

Postby neillans » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:52 pm

Hi Adi,

The Get / Set calls actually should function the same under IIS7 as they do but obviously they do not give you fine grained access to some of the feature set in IIS7 - such as getting the virtual directories in your example.

Instead of actually shelling out to an instance of appcmd as per your example (which as you say there is an existing work around to do although it is not ideal), I would believe a more suitable solution would be an IIS7 specific plugin that allowed you to retrieve and iterate the various collections exposed through the IIS7 API (which is actually implemented through a DLL called ahadmin and a lot of COM objects, and is probably what is actually behind appcmd itself ;)).

However, before this sort of thing could be built (at least, by InstallAware -- there would be nothing stopping a third party developer building it using the plugin framework!), more information and requirements would be needed to build a wish list request.
Andy Neillans

adi

Postby adi » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:04 am

neillans wrote:Hi Adi,

The Get / Set calls actually should function the same under IIS7 as they do but obviously they do not give you fine grained access to some of the feature set in IIS7 - such as getting the virtual directories in your example.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but for me the "Get IIS Property" just doesn't work in IIS7. Even if the IIS6 Metabase Compatibility is installed.
That's why I started this thread - I thought they were designed for IIS6 only.

Thg bug is discussed in another thread:
http://forums.installaware.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5717

Best regards,
adi

Return to “Technical Support”