.NET 3.5 runtime extraction failed

Got a problem you cannot solve? Try here.
donovanh

.NET 3.5 runtime extraction failed

Postby donovanh » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:28 pm

Today I was testing an application revision using an IA install package that had always worked before on several different testing computers. However, on this occasion (on an XP machine) the installer downloaded the series of prerequisite .NET runtime web media blocks, having no trouble with 2.0 or 3.0. After downloading .NET 3.5, however, the installer persistently failed to extract the data from .NET 3.5. It offered to again attempt to extract the same package, or to redownload the media block and try again. Both options failed miserably on multiple tries, and never did succeed.

I did a Google search on .NET 3.5 installation problems, and got the impression that they are not exactly unheard of, especially on XP. Unfortunately, all of the proferred solutions I could find were far too involved to even consider expecting my end users to do in order to install trial software.

Does anyone know why this occurred and how to get IA (developer edition) to install this runtime as expected so the installation doesn't stop dead in its tracks as it did today?

I thank you in advance for any help you can give.

Return to “Technical Support”