Relative Paths To Source Files?

Got a problem you cannot solve? Try here.
simpsonp

Relative Paths To Source Files?

Postby simpsonp » Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:39 pm

Hi,

We have an InstallAware project located in a subversion repository, with a number of developers cheking out working copies. These working copies can be rooted at any location in the file system and while the relative paths from the root are always identical the full paths to files vary depending on the root used by the developer.

It seems that InstallAware only permits absolute paths to source files such as assemblies and not relative paths, which means that a project checked in from one person's working copy will not work on someone else's worlking copy unless they happen to have chosen an identical root.

We are using the InstallAware Developer version, is there a way round this, something that we've missed or can relative path support be considered for the next InstallAware update?

Thanks, Peter

bokkie

Re: Relative Paths To Source Files?

Postby bokkie » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:39 am

Great question! We also use subversion and like you say, each developer's root might not be the same. What I did try which seemed to work is this. I added a file to a test project and selected it using the designer so it added the file by full pathname. I then switched to the MSIcode tab and I edited the code and changed the full pathname to a relative "..\" pathname. It seemed to work ok. Is that something you could try?

My test was hardly conclusive and I recall not all versions of IA give you the code option. I have the Studio Admin version installed. Anyway, that's the best I can chip in with. :(
Peter. Smartly dressed, he still resembles an unmade bed.
InstallAware MVP

mills

Postby mills » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:42 pm

Relative paths can pose problems as well. However, it may be possible to support the option to have source file paths relative. I'll add this as a feature request.
Andy Mills
InstallAware
Other Help:
White Papers (HowTos) - http://www.installaware.com/publication ... papers.htm
Product Guides - http://www.installaware.com/publication ... guides.htm
InstallAware Help - Press F1 in the InstallAware IDE.

simpsonp

Postby simpsonp » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:41 pm

Peter, Andy,

Thanks for your replies, I'll try editing the paths manually and look forward to seeing this feature supported in the Design Tab GUI in an upcoming release.

Regards, Peter

simpsonp

Postby simpsonp » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:28 pm

Hi,

Thanks for adding the relative paths feature to IA 10.10, I've converted all our hard coded paths to relative paths and with one exception everything is looking very good. My one outstanding difficulty is in the Icon File Path field of Create Shortcut. If I put a relative path here the icon does not appear in the shortcut but neither do I get a compile or runtime error of any kind; I'm using the MSI engine rather than the native engine.

Am I missing something or is there a workround for this in IA 10.10? If not, is it possible to allow a relative path in the Create Shortcut Icon File Path for the MSI engine in the next IA release?

Thanks, Peter

giaviv

Postby giaviv » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:34 pm

Dear Peter,

Setting icons to files on the target machine requires using the native engine - that is the reason it is not working for you.
Aviv Giladi
InstallAware Software

White Papers (HowTos) - http://www.installaware.com/publication ... papers.htm
Product Guides - http://www.installaware.com/publication ... guides.htm
InstallAware Help -F1 anywhere in the InstallAware IDE

Return to “Technical Support”