Pre sales question

Got a problem you cannot solve? Try here.
jwwbp

Pre sales question

Postby jwwbp » Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:30 am

Hi,

I've been looking at Installaware - am quite impressed but have one question. How do I copy files into a users 'my documents' folder? I've searched the help and there is nothing covering this, and I don't see the folder either in the install files part of the 'project wizard' or in the visual part of the files browser. And where would I find the folder windows\\profiles\\application data??

I'm sure it must be possible (and trivial) but I can't see the information - I'm obviously doing something wrong - can you help?

Julian

sinan
Site Admin

Postby sinan » Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:06 am

Its easy - just use the Get Folder Location action to obtain the folder location.

jwwbp

Copying files to a Users Personal Folder

Postby jwwbp » Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:53 am

So I have to create a 'script' to discover where a user's 'my documents' folder is? So there really is no quick and easy way of copying some example files into a new folder inside a user's personal folder from the visual interface? OK I've just done it, and I can now see how easy it is - just hidden away a bit..

Thanks!

One more question - does

Get folder location System>Application Data Directory

correspond to the actual folder

'Documents and settings\\username\\Application Data\\ ??

sinan
Site Admin

Postby sinan » Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:09 pm

Yes, you are correct. If you check All Users you will get the folder 'Documents and settings\\All Users\\Application Data\\ ??', so what you want to do is make sure that All Users is not checked.

The development model InstallAware uses is such that you can do most tasks in the visual views, but when the need arises, like in your case, you can drop down to the script view and make the necessary additions to your setup. This is called a transitional user interface and lets you explore and familiarize yourself with the advanced parts of your setup at your own pace as the need arises. When you switch back to the visual views, the changes you made in the script view will be reflected automatically, and vice versa.

Return to “Technical Support”