Backport fix for Memory Leak in v2.04

Got a problem you cannot solve? Try here.
Dana Epp

Backport fix for Memory Leak in v2.04

Postby Dana Epp » Wed Dec 01, 2004 3:16 pm

I understand in v3 that the BIG memory leak has been fixed. I was wondering if it is being backported to the 2.x product. I can't leave InstallAware open over night as it will take over a GIG of ram. Please let me know when you will fix this problem. I have only owned this product a couple of months and would really like to see this fixed.
---
Regards,
Dana Epp

sinan
Site Admin

Postby sinan » Wed Dec 01, 2004 3:21 pm

Unfortunately, this is a .NET issue. Minimizing and restoring the IDE seems to help. Also there are reports that the amount of memory shown in the Task Manager may be inaccurate for .NET apps, but if you are experiencing system slowdowns, this would be good evidence that there is a definite memory leak.

Version 3.x is pure Win32 and does not suffer from this problem. Interesting to note that no code was changed :lol:

Dana Epp

Postby Dana Epp » Wed Dec 01, 2004 3:26 pm

Thats interesting. My own application uses .NET, and utilizes ram resources efficiently. In some cases I can index a 1 gig file and take little more than 20 megs of ram.

With InstallAware, the system slows to a grinding halt if I leave it over night. In one case, it took so much memory and was swapping (I only have 1 gig of ram) that I had to reboot as I couldn't recover.

Although I am happy to hear v3.0 solves this problem, I can't justify buying a new version just after puchasing v2 only two months ago. It's to bad you can't backport the fix or allow your customers having this difficulty to get an upgrade to solve the problem.
---

Regards,

Dana Epp

sinan
Site Admin

Postby sinan » Wed Dec 01, 2004 3:44 pm

Apologies :(
Just remember to shutdown the IDE when you're done :wink:

Return to “Technical Support”