What are the best providers to get Authenticode Signature

Got a problem you cannot solve? Try here.
fasterfox

What are the best providers to get Authenticode Signature

Postby fasterfox » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:18 am

Hi,

Wondering what are the best providers to get Authenticode Signature in the format required by InstallAware.

Basically, reading articles like:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4437, part of it below, gives me an idea that is not that simple, so I'd like to buy a certificate from one of the best providers for this specific task.

Thanks for the advice.

"Using Authenticode is pretty straight forward, but a .pfk file is not a "Private Key File". Private key files typically have the extension ".pvk". A .pfk file is usually the public key file. Did your certificate issuer supply you with a file with a ".pvk" extension?

You will also need a "Software Publishing Certificate" (*.spc or *.cer file) . It's been a while since I've had to work with Authenticode files, but I believe that you create the .pfk file from the .pvk and .spc files."

FrancescoT
Site Admin

Re: What are the best providers to get Authenticode Signatur

Postby FrancescoT » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:35 pm

Dear User,

Honestly, IA doesn't require any special kind of certificates.

It is in this way when you need to authenticate a binary file ... and any provider can supply one, if you specify for which purpose you intend to use it.

Regards
Francesco Toscano
InstallAware Software

White Papers (HowTos) - http://www.installaware.com/publication ... papers.htm
Publications - http://www.installaware.com/publications-review.htm
InstallAware Help -F1 anywhere in the InstallAware IDE

SteveDude

Postby SteveDude » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:38 am

I used Comodo for years, but recently had a bad experience with them.

1) They supplied me first with incomplete docs that required to be notarized.
2) Wasted a another day recompiling the information in the format they required and then getting the docs notarized again.
3) They lost some very personal information that I sent Next Day Air Signature required and although I had proof the documents were delivered they could never find them.
4) Faxed them to the supplied FAX number and they said they never received them, so sent them via email.
5) Once they did get them after two more days they said they couldn't find the notary via an online listing. In my state Notaries are not listed online and you have to call the Secretary of State's Office to verify them and they would not make a phone call. None of the docs said that was a requirement and the notary I used was at my local bank.

I canceled my order and went with Symantec and my certificate was issued within 24 hours. They were willing to make a phone call.

Just a note: IA handles code signing very well and is completely automated. Other installers I have used do not code sign every EXE and DLL in your project for one, and the ones that do support code signing do not supply the extra tools required to do so. You also have to manually enter the password each time something is signed during the build process. For me, that is just another thing that makes IA unique and it does save a ton of time.

FrancescoT
Site Admin

Postby FrancescoT » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:05 pm

Dear SteveDude,

thanks for your notes about IA :D !

Regards
Francesco Toscano
InstallAware Software

White Papers (HowTos) - http://www.installaware.com/publication ... papers.htm
Publications - http://www.installaware.com/publications-review.htm
InstallAware Help -F1 anywhere in the InstallAware IDE

SteveDude

Postby SteveDude » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:10 pm

FrancescoT wrote:Dear SteveDude,

thanks for your notes about IA :D !

Regards

You guys do make me look good and I really do appreciate the amount of thought that goes into your product. Been a loyal user for years now and can say I've never really spent a dime on your product, because once others have seen what I do, contracting out a couple of jobs here and there more than pays for my upgrades with not much work.

Return to “Technical Support”