How do I edit an Application Runtime I created?

Interested in developing new plug-ins? Got one to share? Post here!
Steve

How do I edit an Application Runtime I created?

Postby Steve » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:18 am

Hoping someone can advise on how to edit an Application Runtime...

Here is the background:
From within the InstallAware IDE I selected 'New Project' -> 'Application Runtime'
I then proceeded to create an Application Runtime via the wizard to install 'Microsoft XML 4 Service Pack 3'. The Application Runtime project was created successfully, however I would like to do some fine tuning of the code.
Interestingly however, InstallAware does not create an actual project for an Application Runtime created in such a manner. No project shows up in the list of recent projects and there is no '.MPR' file created that I can open.
Also, if I add the new runtime to a project and edit the runtime within that project, the code changes I have made are only relevant to the open project, not the original runtime.

So how do you edit an Application Runtime after it has been created?

Thanks in advance,
Steve
Last edited by Steve on Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FrancescoT
Site Admin

Re: How do I edit an Application Runtime I created?

Postby FrancescoT » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:21 pm

Dear Steve,

"The Application Runtime Wizard offers the fastest way to create new application runtimes to install technology prerequisites from your setup projects in a reusable manner. The wizard creates two new MSIcode scripts to check for and install your desired technology prerequisite, both of which are also further editable and customizable; as well as an application runtime definition file. New application runtimes created by the wizard are automatically added to the Application Runtimes design view on the active InstallAware instance, and may also be copied to other InstallAware instances."

That said the "Application Runtime Wizard" doesn't create any project. It creates a "Custom Application Runtime" component instead, that then will be listed inder the "Application Runtime View" (...as any other "Runtime Component" that comes by default with InstallAware). Finally to use it, just select it as you usually do with any other "Application Runtime Component".

The "Copy setup file(s) to Application Runtime folder" option of the "Application Runtime Wizard", lets you to specify where to store the MSIcode scripts of your Runtime. When this box is checked (recommended), the installer binaries for the technology prerequisite will be copied to the application runtime folder, making it easy to add the new application runtime to additional InstallAware instances.

Consequently, you may manually edit those script files under the "application runtime folder" of your IA installation directory (eg. "C:\Program Files (x86)\InstallAware X5\runtimes")

Hope this helps you.

Regards
Francesco Toscano
InstallAware Software

White Papers (HowTos) - http://www.installaware.com/publication ... papers.htm
Publications - http://www.installaware.com/publications-review.htm
InstallAware Help -F1 anywhere in the InstallAware IDE

Steve

Postby Steve » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:46 pm

Hi Francesco,
Thanks very much for the quick reply. I'm aware of everything that you have quoted either from searching the help file or from trial and error within InstallAware in my attempts to figure this out... however what I really need to know is how I can open up the Application Runtime from within InstallAware's code editor (MSICode) IDE.
If I attempt to open up the two 'Setup' and 'Check' MSICode files in a text editor in order to edit it manually, it cannot be done since a text editor does not resemble the MSIcode (as shown in the attached screenshot).

Please advise on how this can be accomplished.
Thanks again,
Steve

(I apologize in advance as I also posted this in the Technical Support forum after realising that I had accidentally posted it here in 'Plug-In Development'... and there appears to be no way to move the post).
Attachments
MSICode IDE.jpg
MSICode IDE.jpg (216.79 KiB) Viewed 15896 times

FrancescoT
Site Admin

Postby FrancescoT » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:37 pm

Dear Steve,

you may proceed as follow:

1- Create your Custom Runtime using the Application Runtime Wizard.
2- Create a Dummy project (eg. you may use the Basic Project template) and then from the "Application Runtime" page, add to the project the Custom Runtime you created previously. This will cause the inclusion of the two 'Setup' and 'Check' MSICode files into the project (you will find a copy of them within your "Dummy" project folder).

3- From the MSICode view, modify the two 'Setup' and 'Check' MSICode files as you prefer. Finally save the project when done.

At this point you have an edited copy of the two 'Setup' and 'Check' MSICode files within your "Dummy" project folder.
In case you want to update also the original copy of these files (those stored under "C:\Program Files (x86)\InstallAware X5\runtimes"), just replace them manually with those from your "Dummy" project folder.

Hope this helps you.

PS
No problem, I'll remove the other topic.

Regards
Francesco Toscano
InstallAware Software

Steve

Postby Steve » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:49 pm

Hi Francesco,
Aurghhh...Of course! I couldn't see the forest for the trees...
:oops:
Thanks very much,
Steve

FrancescoT
Site Admin

Postby FrancescoT » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:57 pm

:D
Francesco Toscano
InstallAware Software

Return to “Plug-In Development”