New Plug-In: Alternate SQL Server

Interested in developing new plug-ins? Got one to share? Post here!
CandiceJones

New Plug-In: Alternate SQL Server

Postby CandiceJones » Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:22 am

This new plug-in provides an alternate connection method to Microsoft SQL Server databases. Some users have been reporting issues with the standard InstallAware methods used for running scripts on Microsoft SQL Server databases. This plug-in provides an alternate connection method:

Installation:
Download and run www.installaware.com/clients/Alternate_SQL_Plug-In.exe

License:
Free for all trial and licensed InstallAware users.

Usage:
The plug-in provides a new MSIcode command, Alternate SQL Server. Simply enter this command and populate the command fields (which are very similar to the native InstallAware fields).

Notes:
You must provide the path to a pre-existing SQL script at compile time. The script may be stored as ANSI or UNICODE (the native InstallAware method did not support UNICODE), and contain MSIcode variables.
Candice Jones
InstallAware
Home of The Next Generation MSI Installer
Get your free copy today - http://www.installaware.com/

Steve

Results from Alternate SQL Plugin Test

Postby Steve » Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:38 pm

Hello Candice,

Michael made me aware of this plugin during the Christmas holidays because I have had no success getting IA's native 'Standard' SQL Database Server Configuration to work with my SQL script.

I have been testing with this new 'Alternate SQL Plugin' for most of this week, and I'm sorry to say that I have had no success in creating a database.

I have created a stripped down installation that does nothing more than to install SQL Express and the attempt to create the DB based on my script file.
I am hoping that you or Michael might be able to help me figure out what is going on by having a look at my stripped down IA project. I must be doing something wrong, but after a month now of no success, I am hoping that some 'hands-on' work by the IA Support group might resolve this problem both to my benefit and those other IA users that have been struggling with this as well.

Thanks very much
Steve
Last edited by Steve on Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

jimo

Postby jimo » Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:46 pm

Steve,

I have just finished extensive testing of the new SQL Server plugin that is included in versino 6.14 which is available for download now.

Please download this and install it.

THis is not the Alternate but the Main SQL Server Plugin.

Split you script into 2 parts,

First part is the create database with all the settings for the Database and runs against the master database. Make sure you have no line wrapping.

The second part is all your create tables, create defaults, create procedures and functions, etc. and runs against the name of the database that was created in the first script.

Give this a try and let me know, also if you can email or post the SQL Scripts and I will be more than happy to work through this with you.
Jim Oswell
Software Engineering Manager, Dental
Greenway Health, LLC
http://greenwaymedical.com

Steve

Postby Steve » Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:00 pm

Hi Jim;
Great news! I'm very happy to see this coming from IA.

I will PM you with the script from my project

Thanks again for you help!
Steve

sgolba

Postby sgolba » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:45 pm

Thanks for the Alternate SQL Server plug-in! It sure saved me a lot of work.
Any chance an Alternate MySQL plug-in will be made available that can also handle Unicode SQL scripts?

A different Steve

Return to “Plug-In Development”