RunTimeExecute not being called?

Interested in developing new plug-ins? Got one to share? Post here!
markm

RunTimeExecute not being called?

Postby markm » Sat Oct 08, 2005 10:35 pm

Ok I've got my design time dll coded up and working... handles user input and properly copies the runtime dll to the appropriate directory. However, now I'm having a problem with the runtime dll. I created a quick and dirty test project and inserted my plug-in as the first line of code in the installer script. No matter what type of build I do or how I run the installer, it does not seem to call the runtime dll. The first line of code in my RunTimeExecute function is a simple messagebox alerting me that the function has been called, and I never recieve the messagebox at any point during the installation process, even if I step through it. Could you please point me in the right direction?

sinan
Site Admin

Postby sinan » Sun Oct 09, 2005 6:16 am

Make sure you are copying to the correct folders, make sure your DLL has no runtime dependencies, make sure you are exporting the correct function name with the correct function parameters...

markm

Postby markm » Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:28 am

I appreciate your rapid responses, AW support is great!

Anyhow, I have verified everything you said. The runtime dll gets copied to the directory provided by the BuildPath variable. The dll I created has no dependencies - no MFC or anything, I built it using strict Win32 API calls. As for the function name/parameters they appear to be correct (I used the c++ project template). I guess I'll keep digging...

markm

Postby markm » Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:41 am

AHA! Ok I located the problem. The .DEF file that is included with the sample EXE project is blank... this is what it should be:

Code: Select all

EXPORTS
  RunTimeExecute

After adding that and recompiling everything works fine, thanks for your guidance!

The interesting thing about this problem is that you guys used the __declspec(dllexport) keyword in your exported functions, which according to http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=132044 should allow you to "export functions from a .EXE or .DLL without using a .DEF file." However, such was not this case for me <shrug>.

sinan
Site Admin

Postby sinan » Sun Oct 09, 2005 2:47 pm

That is very interesting!
Perhaps we should update the sample to include a DEF file.

At any rate, we'll keep this in mind for future users who may run into the same problem. Thank you!

Return to “Plug-In Development”