Plug-in to terminate process based on Filename

Interested in developing new plug-ins? Got one to share? Post here!
zims

Plug-in to terminate process based on Filename

Postby zims » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:31 pm

Plug-in to Terminate Process based on filename
I have seen several post on this forum about how to terminate/kill a process based on the filename so I guess I could post my plug-in. Here is a short description on how it works:

Plug-in Description
* Terminate Process takes a application filename as parameter, this filename is then used to find any running processes. All found processes based on this filename will be terminated automatically.

* Terminate Process enumerates all running process and uses the Windows API TerminateProcess to terminate the process.

* Terminate Process will unconditionally kill the process without any possibility for the user to react. Keep in mind that unsaved data might get lost.

* If you compare Terminate Process with Terminate Program (included in InstallAware) Terminate Program will not force the application to close, Terminal Process will force a close down of the application. Another diffrence is that Terminate Program needs a Window Class Name as a parameter and Terminate Process needs a Filename.

* If no process based on the specified file was found nothing will happen. The Plug-in does NOT report any progress.

I hope someone else will find it useful.

Zims

File Attached:

setup.zip

10e

Exactly what I needed!

Postby 10e » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:58 pm

I had a requirement to remove a process running as a System Tray Icon and Terminate Program didn't seem to work (looking for a window handle?).

Thanks, this works great!

scriv

Failed To compile plug-in action

Postby scriv » Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:01 pm

Hello!
I am trying to use the plug-in you provided rather than build my own, but I get an "Error during build: Failed to compile plug-in action: Terminate Process"

I am using InstallAware 9.04. Any idea what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks for your help!

MichaelNesmith

Postby MichaelNesmith » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:42 am

InstallAware 9.x now uses a reserved parameter in the plug-in fields which lets plug-ins abort builds. Please contact the plug-in vendor to ensure the plug-in is making correct use of this field. We did try and notify each vendor for the 9.x release well before launch but looks like there's a few we missed out on - sorry!
Michael Nesmith
InstallAware
Home of The Next Generation MSI Installer
Get your free copy today - http://www.installaware.com/

jkrasky

Re: Plug-in to terminate process based on Filename

Postby jkrasky » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:32 pm

Hey everyone,

I don't know if the original author of this plug-in is still active in the InstallAware community but it would be awesome if we could get an updated version that works with InstallAware 9 generated. I'm kind of surprised this doesn't come up more often because when performing an upgrade, it's nice to be able to determine if something is running and then close it for the user. We are working on an application with a client piece that could be deployed on hundreds or even thousands of workstations. Being able to run silently and have it close this stuff down would save users a ton of headaches.

If the original author isn't around, would the InstallAware development team ever consider putting such functionality into a future release? The current terminate process is useful in some cases but can't deal with system tray applications because the Window Title isn't there until a window is active.

Thanks!

-Jeff

mills

Postby mills » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:55 pm

I'm marking this as a feature request in case we don't hear back from the original developer of the plugin.
Andy Mills
InstallAware
Other Help:
White Papers (HowTos) - http://www.installaware.com/publication ... papers.htm
Product Guides - http://www.installaware.com/publication ... guides.htm
InstallAware Help - Press F1 in the InstallAware IDE.

Brandani

Postby Brandani » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:29 am

Are there any news concerning the implementation of this request?

It is really important for us!

rosstrusler

Postby rosstrusler » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:20 pm

I need this too.

Return to “Plug-In Development”