What version of C++ is needed for plug-in development?

Interested in developing new plug-ins? Got one to share? Post here!
bokkie

What version of C++ is needed for plug-in development?

Postby bokkie » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:06 am

Chaps,

I have had limited success building some of the plug-ins samples using VS.Net C++ 2008. It's not that the code wont compile but rather because VS.Net has deprecated some code and a few, seemingly correctable errors occurred elsewhere? So this leads me to think the VS.Net C++ 2008 is not necessarily the best compiler and builder to use.

What do you use for compiling and building plug-ins? Visual C++ 6? Service packs? etc...
Peter. Smartly dressed, he still resembles an unmade bed.
InstallAware MVP

MichaelNesmith

Postby MichaelNesmith » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:26 am

Any version of any language which can create ordinary Win32 DLLs using the stdcall calling convention will work. The samples were built with Visual Studio 6.
Michael Nesmith
InstallAware
Home of The Next Generation MSI Installer
Get your free copy today - http://www.installaware.com/

bokkie

Postby bokkie » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:27 pm

That was my problem. Although .Net went through the process of converting the project there were a number of deprecated functions and two compilation errors which looked quite nasty. I think I will hunt for VC++6 in our MSDN disk box. Better perhaps to compile and build using the same tools as it was written with.

By the way: What's the story with Delphi these days as I believe you can write plug-ins with that? I almost get the impression that Delphi's light is much dimmer now seeing that VS.Net has conquered much of its traditional market. Is anyone writing plug-ins with Delphi?
InstallAware MVP

MichaelNesmith

Postby MichaelNesmith » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:52 am

That's unfortunate. Would anybody care to post an updated project collection for the modern line of VS tools? It's just a couple function exports...
Michael Nesmith

InstallAware

Home of The Next Generation MSI Installer

Get your free copy today - http://www.installaware.com/

bokkie

Postby bokkie » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:40 am

Michael, I'd be happy to try and do that but not knowing how the internals of plug-ins work I'd probably be at a disadvantage. I did manage to convert the GenerateGuid plug-in to VS.Net 2009 C++ and that seemed to work ok at both compile time and when used in MSI code.

But that was a different beast to the eval.zip plug-in code I downloaded from another forum thread which is where the worst compilation errors announced themselves.
InstallAware MVP

Return to “Plug-In Development”