Compression Plug In Help

Interested in developing new plug-ins? Got one to share? Post here!
ScottBM

Compression Plug In Help

Postby ScottBM » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:00 pm

Hello,

I was told by rep Michael that I would need to create a Plug - In to do what I need Install Aware to do. Would anyone be as so kind to point me in the right direction to the basics of creating a Install AWARE ZIP plugin that does that following:

The ability to decompress a special (.pak) compressed file (pak is nothing more than a .zip file renamed to .pak in order for our engine to recognize the contained files), add / remove / modify existing files within, then re-compress them back into their .pak compressed format. (Compress updated files with 7zip standard zip compression rate then rename file extension to .pak)

For example:

File specified to be patched: Example.pak

Contents: When opened with 7zip contains Folders : Test1 Test2 Test3

1. The patch installer decompresses's Example.pak

2. Adds a readme.txt and the few other files to the specified sections in the Test1 folder.

3. Patcher then re-compresses the file back into its original "Example.pak" format. (standard zip compression with extension renamed to .pak instead of .zip.

4. Installation complete.

Any help on this would be great. Basically I just need a script or Plug-In that allows decompression, recompression, and file renaming or extension renaming during a patch.

let me know if anyone can help or if you need any further explaination or information from me.

Thanks

tobyteel

Re: Compression Plug In Help

Postby tobyteel » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:27 pm

You might not need to write a whole plug-in. You could maybe use a DLL to decompress and recompress your zip, or add the file directly to the zip using the "Call DLL Function" plug-in. You could include the dll you use (like 7-zip.dll from www.7-zip.org) as part of your installer (I think). You may also be able to do it with windows' built-in Shell32.dll (in WinXP and later).

Return to “Plug-In Development”