C++ BuilderX and plugin development.

Interested in developing new plug-ins? Got one to share? Post here!
bokkie

C++ BuilderX and plugin development.

Postby bokkie » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:06 am

Hello chaps.

My first post in a very long time. I recently bought the SAMS book Teach Yourself C++ in 24 Hours. It comes with a CD containing the full IDE for C++ BuilderX. After some licence file registration problems I eventually got the IDE to work. I know that we can't use VS.Net C++ to develop plugins but could someone tell me if C++ BuilderX will be ok? I do have a freeware version of TurboDelphi I could use but the truth is I'm not comfortable with Pascal as a language anymore and I reckon my knowledge of C# would be more adaptable to C++.

Comments appreciated.
Peter. Smartly dressed, he still resembles an unmade bed.
InstallAware MVP

MichaelNesmith

Postby MichaelNesmith » Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:19 am

Hi Peter,

You certainly can use Visual Studio .NET's C++ functionality to build plug-ins. We even have a built-in template for Visual C++. Not sure why you concluded that won't work.

In fact, I'd caution you against using C++BuilderX. It is a discontinued product. We have no samples with it and we wouldn't recommend anyone to invest time into a dead product.

C++ Builder is alive and kicking, of course, if you want to go that route. We also have a Delphi sample but you mentioned that you don't know Delphi, so best to pick a C++ IDE that you're happy with.
Michael Nesmith
InstallAware
Home of The Next Generation MSI Installer
Get your free copy today - http://www.installaware.com/

bokkie

Postby bokkie » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:53 am

Sorry Michael. I meant to say you can't develop plugins using C# which is the language I'm most familiar with. It took me quite a while to get TurboDelphi installed and running and that was also my experience with C++BuilderX. Interestingly, the edition of the book I got the IDE with was dated 2005 so its been a dead product for quite a while.

I've been out of touch with IA for a while and I forgot about the C++ sample you mentioned.
Peter. Smartly dressed, he still resembles an unmade bed.
InstallAware MVP

Return to “Plug-In Development”