EditFile plugin

Interested in developing new plug-ins? Got one to share? Post here!
sinan
Site Admin

Postby sinan » Mon Sep 05, 2005 5:01 am

blackmav

Postby blackmav » Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:18 am

The problem seems to be that the dll is not included in the build.
I got a mIDEEdit.dll directory in one feature and it is empty. The Message in on the installation progress dialog, below the label "Status" is some cryptic function name or something. If i manually add the mIDEEdit.dll file into the mIDEEdit.dll directory, the bitchi dialog asking me for the original source directory comes later and below the status it says something like "software is being removed", some sloppy translation from german..

Hope someone can helb me, would really like to use this plugin.

Thx & greez
adrian

zchris

Postby zchris » Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:56 pm

The mIDEEdit.dll is used with the InstallAware IDE. Your setup should only contain mEXEEdit.dll.

What exact error do you get? Do you have a screenshot?

Also make sure that you are using EditFile after the Apply Install command.

bye, chris

PS: To check that your setup does include the dll:
- run your setup (so that it shows the welcome screen)
- go to the temp directory and search for "mEXEEdit.dll" (if it's the first setup you should find it in mia1)

cptlo306

Re: EditFile plug-in and Browse Window

Postby cptlo306 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:06 am

I'm having the same problem when running the installation on a Windows 2003 server. When I run it on my XP machine, it runs fine and the files get edited correctly? Any ideas? Thanks in advance!.

Anonymous wrote:Hi,

I have downloaded EditFile plug-in. In order to edit text file. I have placed plug-in after Apply Install command. When the installation reach EditFile command, it displays a Brwoser window for folder asking to locate the original setup sources to continue operation? It's worth mentioning that both path and text file are correct!!

I have to mention to something, because I found it very interesting. During the installation wizard, I have to establsh a connection to MS SQL using RUN PROGRAM/RUN PROGRAMM AS command. But I found when I comment the command line, no browse window will be displayed. But as long as RUN PROGRAM/RUN PROGRAM AS command there, browse window will be displayed!!

Thanks in advance

zchris

Postby zchris » Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:57 am

Sorry for the late reply (been on vacation)...

What version of InstallAware are you using? Do you have a small setup to repro the error?

cptlo306

Postby cptlo306 » Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:20 pm

Thanks for responding.

Fortunately I was able to get it to work by creating an entirely new installation from scratch. I have since created about 3 more installations that use this plugin and they work ok too.

Strange...but it works now so I'm happy :D

marcwirtgen

FileEdit dependencies

Postby marcwirtgen » Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:44 pm

Hello,

FileEdit works fine in my project as I manually copy the mIDEEdit.dll into the final installation. Most Installations work fine, however I encountered today 2 machines which did not make the requested FileEdit commands. In which language is the plugin developped? I would like to check if there is an unusual dependeny.

Thank Marc

zchris

Postby zchris » Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:48 am

It's written in VC++ 6.0 (statically linked), no dependencies beside kernel and ntdll.

You don't need mIDEEdit.dll for your installation - that is only used for the IDE. mEXEEdit.dll is for the runtime distribution.

If the setup only runs with mIDEEdit.dll then it could be a bug in InstallAware.

bye, chris

kzoltan

Re: EditFile plugin

Postby kzoltan » Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:00 pm

I have done downloaded the plugin and done just this. But instead of writing the value of $TARGETDIR$ into the file that I am editing, it just writes the string "$TARGETDIR$" into the file. What am I doing wrong?

The command reads:
EditFile $TARGETDIR$\\test.exe.config, Replace "@TARGETDIR@" with "$TARGETDIR$"

I am using InstallAware 6.24 in Evaluation Mode.

Thank you for the help.

zchris wrote:I've created a simple plugin to replace tokens in text files.

It's quite handy to edit XML (.config) files - just put a generic token (e.g. @TARGETDIR@) into your XML and then run the plugin to replace all occurences of your token with a setup variable (e.g. $TARGETDIR$).

If you need to replace more than one token run the plugin multiple times.

You can download the plugin setup here (updated):

http://www.camelot.co.at/files/dist/Camelot-InstallAware-Plugins.exe

disclaimer: you are free to use this plugin for any purpose at your own risk.

zchris

Re: EditFile plugin

Postby zchris » Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:58 am

kzoltan wrote:I have done downloaded the plugin and done just this. But instead of writing the value of $TARGETDIR$ into the file that I am editing, it just writes the string "$TARGETDIR$" into the file. What am I doing wrong?

Have you put @TARGETDIR@ into the file to edit (not $TARGETDIR$)?

kzoltan

Postby kzoltan » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:47 pm

Hi zchris,

It turned out I mistyped the variable in the declaration. Everything works GREAT!

This is by FAR the best installation environment I have ever used.

Thank you for the help.

marcwirtgen

EditFile and One-EXE-setup

Postby marcwirtgen » Tue May 15, 2007 10:46 am

Hello,

We started with our setup project long ago. Then we added the the FileEdit-plugin. When we build a setup the dll will not be copied into the installer, so we can't make a single-exe-installer. How can we edit the project, that it reacts like a project that was created after the plugin has been installed?

Thanks for fast help
Marc

SteveDude

Thanks for this...

Postby SteveDude » Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:30 pm

This plugin was eactly what I needed for editing a couple of XML files on install. Works flawless. Thanks!

william

chaos code ? please help me

Postby william » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:19 am

i am a chinese programer, i use this editfile-plugin had some problem!
i replace a chinese text and then all the chinese in the web.config file has been chaos code except the value which i replaced !!!
i think it is because the editfile-plugin use as a ASCII not UNICODE!
is there some body can help me ?
how about i crack the mEXEEdit.dll file to fix this bug!
i holp you can know about what i saied!
some body help me.
thank you so much.

File Attached:

!Web.config

Mateo

Postby Mateo » Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:25 am

I'm also having the same issue that William has. All of our config files are in UNICODE format. When I use the editfile plug-in it deletes the contents of the file. :x

Not sure if anyone is still developing the editfile plug-in but if someone is UNICODE support would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Return to “Plug-In Development”