Dotnet plugin: progress bar.

Interested in developing new plug-ins? Got one to share? Post here!
bokkie

Dotnet plugin: progress bar.

Postby bokkie » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:43 am

Chaps, as we've more or less run the race on getting the plugin to work I'd like to offload some unanswered questions and put them in new threads.

The callback lets you change the value of the progress bar and it lets you display your own text. That's fine and works.

What I've observed is I can only use the progress bar that's in the existing progress dialog. If I try and use a progress bar control in the dialog editor toolbox then the callback in the plugin is unable to use it. If I copy the progress.dfm dialog to another dialog name the progress bar continues to work with the callback. If I delete the progress bar from my dialog and add a new one from the toolbox it doesn't work. It looks like the plugin only "sees" the progress bar originally used in the progress.dfm. If I copy-and-paste the original progress bar and run my setup the callback can update both of them on the same form.

If I wanted to add a new progress bar without copying it from progress.dfm is there anything I'd need to do to "wire" it to the plugin? It's not a problem if I can't but I'd like to know why progress.dfm's progress bar can be used by the plugin but adding one from the toolbox does not.
Peter. Smartly dressed, he still resembles an unmade bed.
InstallAware MVP

christ23

Re: Dotnet plugin: progress bar.

Postby christ23 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:54 am

Bokkie,

Just an idea : have you checked the actions of the progress bar,too? I guess there will be a [receive from variable] selected? I will have a check tomorrow when i am at work.

bokkie

Re: Dotnet plugin: progress bar.

Postby bokkie » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:08 am

christ23 wrote:Bokkie,

Just an idea : have you checked the actions of the progress bar,too? I guess there will be a [receive from variable] selected? I will have a check tomorrow when i am at work.

I checked that as well. The original one receives its value from the installation progress. When I added the same to a progress bar added from the toolbox it still doesn't receive anything from the plugin. It's almost as if the progress.dfm's progress bar is secretly wired to the bridge in such a way that no other progress bar is. There are very few progress bar properties as well. I've checked them all and I can't see anything else that could explain the difference. It'll be good to read anything you might uncover.
Peter. Smartly dressed, he still resembles an unmade bed.
InstallAware MVP

Return to “Plug-In Development”