.NET Service Install Always Fails Using InstallAware?

Post specialized setup scripts you have created here.
pointeman

.NET Service Install Always Fails Using InstallAware?

Postby pointeman » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:38 pm

I don't get it. Wise Installer works great, InstallShield works great, but as much as I try InstallAware will not install my .NET service.

I’m considering using a this command line from a .bat file that always install and uninstall our .NET service.

Q. How can I script this to work with InstallAware?

C:\\WINDOWS\\Microsoft.NET\\Framework\\v2.0.50727\\installutil.exe /i "C:\\Program Files\\Pointesoft\\SyslogIT\\syslgsvc.exe

JebaDaHut

Postby JebaDaHut » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:30 am

Any solutions to this issue? I'm facing the same problem as well.

CandiceJones

Postby CandiceJones » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:03 am

You can always call Run Program for things like these, but the native InstallAware command which calls installutil for you is Run .NET Installer Class.
Candice Jones
InstallAware
Home of The Next Generation MSI Installer
Get your free copy today - http://www.installaware.com/

wal

Postby wal » Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:38 pm

Hi pointeman;
There are two ways to install a windows service installutil and SC (service controller), Maybe installshield uses SC. I Have developed several window services that require the .exe to be protected from de-compiling, the system we use to protect the apps changes the internal structure of the app and installutil will not work.
SC is a command line utility to add services to windows, you have to be carefull as it does not do any error checking for you, you can add a service for a program that is not an actual service, and you can even add a service for a file and directory that doesn’t exist.
I am not currently using installaware (and having doubts with what I am reading in these forums about support issues), the little install app I currently use allows me to run files during and after installation, so I use a batch file after everything else is installed. All our installs are currently fixed and the user cannot user can not change the install path, if you have a dynamic install path then you will need to take that into account with your scripting, perhaps a little vb app that reads the install directory and calls the shell command.

I have added some basic examples below, I hope this helps.

SC is really easy to use and is part of the standard windows.
To add a service from the command line simply type
sc.exe Create <name> binPath= "<full>" DisplayName= "<user>" type= own type= interact depend= lanmanworkstation start= auto
The create statement can’t seem to add a description to a second line is required
sc.exe Description <name> "<you>"
To remove this service
Sc.exe delete <name>

Return to “Sample Scripts”