Wise Script Converter (Codename H O P L I T E)

Post specialized setup scripts you have created here.
sinan
Site Admin

Wise Script Converter (Codename H O P L I T E)

Postby sinan » Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:05 pm

Here is a new ZIP archive:
http://www.installaware.com/hoplite.zip

You can use hoplite.exe to create a MIA script file from a WSE project file :) Its fully implemented and ready to test.

The first command line parameter to hoplite.exe is the full path to the WSE project file. Even if the path contains spaces, DO NOT use " (quotes) around the path, this will break the hoplite.exe tool.

Hoplite outputs a .MIA InstallAware script file in the same folder as the WSE project. You can then set this script as your project script file to view and build it in InstallAware. Of course, the final version will produce a complete InstallAware project, but this is what we have available for testing now.

To set the script in your project, open the Project Manager, then select the script file, right click it, and choose the change menu option.

zchris

Postby zchris » Thu Mar 17, 2005 5:07 am

Do you also have an InstallShield converter in the works? I have quite a few I need to convert...

sinan
Site Admin

Postby sinan » Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:46 am

This would be harder, because the InstallShield scripting, unlike Wise scripting, is very different from IA's scripting. But we can definitely try to make a converter for at least the visually edited parts of the setups - would that help?

zchris

Postby zchris » Fri Mar 18, 2005 3:29 am

sinan wrote:But we can definitely try to make a converter for at least the visually edited parts of the setups - would that help?

Thanks but we really didn't do much visual stuff in InstallShield. I was thinking more about files and registry entries...

I'll try to convert them using PackageAware.

sinan
Site Admin

Postby sinan » Fri Mar 18, 2005 8:20 am

Is that to say you installed most of your files/registry entries using InstallScript code? When I said visual, I was referring to the way you visually specify files/registry entries/etc. in the InstallShield IDE...

zchris

Postby zchris » Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:28 pm

I misunderstood.

We are not using script and a converter for files/reg would indeed help! Thanks.

sinan
Site Admin

Postby sinan » Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:50 pm

Thanks for the clarification! This is on our to-do list :)

vipul

Installshield Script > Installaware Convertor?

Postby vipul » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:58 am

Is there a converter from installshield script to installaware?

I am looking to move to installaware :?:

MichaelNesmith

Postby MichaelNesmith » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:17 am

Please note that these converters are now integrated into the main IDE and you no longer need to download stand alone files.
Michael Nesmith
InstallAware
Home of The Next Generation MSI Installer
Get your free copy today - http://www.installaware.com/

Werner

Re: Wise Script Converter (Codename H O P L I T E)

Postby Werner » Fri May 13, 2011 12:30 am

Hi,
I'm evaluating IA regarding migration from Wise WSE Scripts to IA 10.10
Those are my main problems:

In all WSE-scripts I tried to import I get an error "List index out of bounds (-1)" after importing and clicking on "Compile".
This happens even if I comment out ALL (!) lines of the generated/imported script !

What could be the cause of the above error msg ?

There seems to be a bug in the import filter for WSE regarding "Display Message" commands :
Wise "Display Message" commands are converted to "MessageBox" commands in IA, but title and message text are empty in all generated "MessageBox" commands.

Are there any solutions for those problems ?

Werner

giaviv

Postby giaviv » Sat May 14, 2011 7:51 am

Dear Werner,

1) This error usually indicates that there is a discrepancy between the number of opening brackets and closing brackets. This usually happens as Wise scripts are not directly parallel to InstallAware ones. Please try and see where the discrepancy is and add the appropriate End clause.

2) What happens when you create a blank Wise script that only has a display message command and you convert that?
Aviv Giladi
InstallAware Software

White Papers (HowTos) - http://www.installaware.com/publication ... papers.htm
Product Guides - http://www.installaware.com/publication ... guides.htm
InstallAware Help -F1 anywhere in the InstallAware IDE

Werner

Postby Werner » Mon May 16, 2011 7:53 am

Hi,

ad 1)
I found that this occurs if the converter does not understand/support a WSE-statement which (also) represents a "begin" and comments it out, but leaves the corresponding "end" intact.
It's very annoying if you have a script with some thousands of lines and the error message doesn't say in which line the error occured.

Is there any protocol or other debugging "tool" which would provide this information ?

ad 2)
Yes, even with 1 line the message text is missing; I've looked into the WSE and found the following script item:
"
item: Display Message
Title German=Message Title
Text German=Message Text
Text German=
end
"
I guess that the converter does not recognize languages other than english.

Is there any way to solve this problem, since I have thousands of lines of WSE scripts which contain many "Display Message" items ..

I also detected a 3rd problem:
The return value type and returned variable in Wise "Call DLL Function" is not converted correctly:
WISE "Return value typ" = <long> and Returned Variable (name)= "RES" are converted to IA Return Type=void and return result in variable =<value of the first input parameter defined>

Regards

Werner

Return to “Sample Scripts”