confused: compiler NOEXE = TRUE

Post specialized setup scripts you have created here.
Rulan

confused: compiler NOEXE = TRUE

Postby Rulan » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:40 am

Where can I set the "Compiler variable NOEXE = True?" :(

Product = INstallAware 15
I tried to run setups, build with installAware, from inside a master install.exe
Where can I find infos about that workaround? :?:
rulan

Rulan

Re: confused: compiler NOEXE = TRUE

Postby Rulan » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:21 am

I found a possibility to add "noexe=true" under project settings. But now the setup stops with the following screen in the master setup, when starting the "run light mode".
InstallAware Wizard: "Setup-Recource wurde nicht gefunden"
InstallAware Assistent hangs... look at the Attachment
NOXE_Error.png
NOXE_Error.png (102.27 KiB) Viewed 28960 times

What's going wrong?
Is it a bug?
1) I build a child (Child.exe) with the NOEXE-Settimg
2) I build the master, who copies the exe.file
3) and starts it with "run light mode" without parameters

any ideas
rulan

FrancescoT
Site Admin

Postby FrancescoT » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:29 am

Dear Rulan,

Are you are able to reproduce the issue even with a very minimal project? I can try to verify it.

By the way, are you placing the child package (Child.exe) under SUPPORTDIR of your master project?
When in your master project script sequence are you calling the Child package using RUN LIGHT MODE command?

Regards
Francesco Toscano
InstallAware Software

White Papers (HowTos) - http://www.installaware.com/publication ... papers.htm
Publications - http://www.installaware.com/publications-review.htm
InstallAware Help -F1 anywhere in the InstallAware IDE

Rulan

Postby Rulan » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:00 am

Thanks for the answer,
first I general have to know, what I can use for a mother/child build...

1) Is it correct to build a child without NOEXE=TRUE in form of one INstallAware "----.EXE"-File or

2) (?) is it necessary to use an uncompressed child-build?

3) Is it possible to put this "Child.EXE" (1) (one File) into the supportfiles and I can run it it with the "run light mode" - command?

4) Where can a get a script showing me the usage of "BAGfiles" in IA 15? Is it necassary to first get a PLUGIN?

It seems, that die "uncompressed"-Child-Method (2) works, but the "child.exe" (1) do not.

Regards
Rulan

FrancescoT
Site Admin

Postby FrancescoT » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:36 am

Dear,

1) Is it correct to build a child without NOEXE=TRUE in form of one INstallAware "----.EXE"-File or

If you want to use Run Light Mode command, yuo must build the child installer setting NOEXE=TRUE.
Otherwise use Run Program to execute an ordinary package.

2) (?) is it necessary to use an uncompressed child-build?

If you want to use Run Light Mode command, yes, it is.
3) Is it possible to put this "Child.EXE" (1) (one File) into the supportfiles and I can run it it with the "run light mode" - command?

I suggest to use InstallAware File Bag in order to store correctly all files and subfolders of the uncompressed Child build.
4) Where can a get a script showing me the usage of "BAGfiles" in IA 15?

See note below.
Is it necassary to first get a PLUGIN?

No, just Install all IA features in order to be sure you have installed all components.
It seems, that die "uncompressed"-Child-Method (2) works, but the "child.exe" (1) do not.

As I said previously, you should use the "uncompressed"-Child-Method with RUN LIGHT MODE.

Please note, use the attached project that demostrates how to use RUN LIGHT MODE command.
The attached compressed rar already contains the builded project ready to run.
If you want to re-build the project that uses the RUN LIGHT MODE command, you must replace the FILE BAG command path I used with the one you used to store the child project. With File Bag command are not allowed script variables or relative path.

Regards.
Attachments
RunLightMode.rar
(3.06 MiB) Downloaded 1411 times
Francesco Toscano
InstallAware Software

Rulan

Postby Rulan » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:58 am

Thank you very much for your the sample script, it worked fine..

But the use of filebag let me answer, what you would recommend for using many child-Setups, that I will select for installing...
is it correct,
1) that when using filebag, there is only one filebag for the mother-setup possible? and
2) when installing in one filebag, all child uncompressed setups will be copied to harddisk at the same time, not only the setups I have selected? and
3) Filebag is able to handle many different uncompressed child-setups, that are added with the define-command? Or is there the need to put them into separate subdirs, and is filebag able to organise each "define"-command..

I did tests, where I "installed" the uncompressed, only the before selected childs to the "targetdir" in a setupDIr with different subdirs for each setup and later run it. After the installation I removed the setup dir. What do you think, is this a critical way of strategy? What would you recommend filebag instead from your point of view?!

I hope it is clear, what I want to ask... :|
Rulan

FrancescoT
Site Admin

Postby FrancescoT » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:47 am

Dear Rulan,

1) that when using filebag, there is only one filebag for the mother-setup possible?

You can include with your script as many File Bag commands you want.
The file bag command creates a File Container folder at runtime execution and each command, points to a unique and separate folder.
The included files are available only while setup is running and are not permanently installed on the target system. This command is typically used when a collection of files are temporarily required at (un)install time, but not by the installed application itself.

2) when installing in one filebag, all child uncompressed setups will be copied to harddisk at the same time, not only the setups I have selected?

Yes it is.

Filebag is able to handle many different uncompressed child-setups, that are added with the define-command? Or is there the need to put them into separate subdirs, ...

As I said with my reply at point 1, you can use a different File Bag for each child-setup.

and is filebag able to organise each "define"-command.

Are you refering to: "Define Component" command? can you try to be more clear?

I did tests, where I "installed" the uncompressed, only the before selected childs to the "targetdir" in a setupDIr with different subdirs for each setup and later run it. After the installation I removed the setup dir. What do you think, is this a critical way of strategy? What would you recommend filebag instead from your point of view?!

I'm really sorry ... but I'm not quite sure if I follow your question.
If you mean that you forcedly delete the File Bag folder container after child-setup installation completes ... that it is wrong end not required.
File Bag directory isn't permanently installed on the target system.

Hope this helps you.

Regards
Francesco Toscano
InstallAware Software

Rulan

Postby Rulan » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:09 am

Hello,
That I do not understand... :?:

You said: "You can include with your script as many File Bag commands you want.
The file bag command creates a File Container folder at runtime execution and each command, points to a unique and separate folder."

I defined two filebags, and they are installed in the same path as it seems, with the root-name of the revision code by the motherfile, where the fielbags are defined... (look at the picture) :(
Filebag_problem.png
Filebag_problem.png (76.55 KiB) Viewed 28879 times

Do I something wrong? In my case the installation run, but what happens, when the installations have identical files-names?
regards

FrancescoT
Site Admin

Postby FrancescoT » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:13 pm

Dear Rulan,

please excuse me, I was wrong (... I'm coming older :roll: ).

You are right, the folder under File Bags files are placed at runtime, it is the same for all the File Bags you used.
However, because File Bag command can include sub folders, you could point to a folder wich contains several sub-folder ... in this case you can store identical files-names as well.

Regards
Francesco Toscano
InstallAware Software

Return to “Sample Scripts”