Can InstallAware register ActiveX DLLs, OCXes in specified o

For all your non-technical questions.
Kyle McAbee

Can InstallAware register ActiveX DLLs, OCXes in specified o

Postby Kyle McAbee » Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:04 am

Dear Presales Support:

My apologies for the simple questions. I have tried to answer them by downloading the free trial version of InstallAware Express 2005, creating a project, reading the help file, and reading in the forums. But alas.

If I can create an installer that works, I figure to buy the product. I am new to creating an installer. The application to install was written in Visual Basic 6 and will run as a stand-alone utility on client computers.

1. To support the application, the installer needs to install a custom ActiveX DLL and two custom OCX files. Can InstallAware Express register them in a specified order? Am I supposed to specify the exact registry key for the controls in the Registry section of InstallAware?

2. Can InstallAware Express run an EXE that installs the freely distributable Microsoft Access Snapshot Viewer?

3. Can InstallAware Express detect installed Microsoft controls and optionally install newer versions of these freely distributable Microsoft controls (COMDLG32.OCX, MSCOMCTL.OCX, MSCOMCT2.OCX)?

4. Are there plans to make InstallAware Express display its UI correctly at resolutions other than 1024x768, DPI setting of "Normal size (96 DPI)" -- formerly known as "Small Fonts" in Windows 2000?

5. Is there a way to simulate a test install on the same computer on which InstallAware Express is installed if the application that you are making an installer for is already installed on that computer?

If you could answer these questions, or direct me to the appropriate areas in the help file or the user forums, I would be grateful. Thank you.

Sincerely yours,

Kyle McAbee

CandiceJones

Postby CandiceJones » Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:23 am

1. You can use the Register Library command in Developer and above to register these libraries. With Express, you may import the self-registration data from the libraries, thereby avoiding the self-registration issue altogether.

2. Yes, you may run any EXE.

3. Yes. You also probably want to install the Visual Basic 6 runtime.

4. InstallAware 6 displays its user interface correctly at all DPI settings.

5. No - you need Studio for debugging your setups, which does allow you to simulate an installation also.
Candice Jones
InstallAware
Home of The Next Generation MSI Installer
Get your free copy today - http://www.installaware.com/

Return to “Non-Technical”