Suite Installer

For all your non-technical questions.
amitsv77

Suite Installer

Postby amitsv77 » Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:23 pm

Hi,

I am working on a product, which has some SDK's, server, client etc. These components have diffrent set of target users & could be installed seperately. We have an MSI for each of them, but these MSI's also depend on some other components which have MSI's of their own. All the MSI's have their own dialogs for user input, perform various checks etc.

I need a suite installer which would display the various options(SDK's, server, client avaliable for install) to user & based on his choice, install the appropriate MSI sequence, some of the MSI's have to be installed in non-silent mode & others in silent mode.
I may also have to do some pre-post processing after an MSI installs/un-installs.

Can i build such a thin suite installer using Installaware Scripting on top of MSI's i already have?

Thanks,
Amit.

Gizm0

Postby Gizm0 » Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:01 pm

Of course you can.. You can even include them as support files so they'll be transparent to the end user, after you put them on the Setup Decompressor to compress them using the State of the Art InstallAWARE compression engine and reduce the file size of the current installer to approximatelly 66% in some cases.You can even make the whole process transparent to the end user.Also you can create your own custom dialogs to help the user understand what is being installed at the current time, either it's trasparent(silent) or not.

If you don't know how to do it, feel free to contact me. I'll provide consulting services and create the setup for you at very reasonable fees. Contact me at pkefal (at) installaware (dot) com with details regarding your project and i'll reply to you with a project scope and delivery times!
Panagiotis Kefalidis
Software Design Team Lead
\"In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure\"
InstallAware Software Corporation

CandiceJones

Postby CandiceJones » Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:25 pm

Hi Amit,

Essentially, this would be your process:

1) Add the MSIs to your setup using the File Bag command, or the support files mechanism
2) As Gizmo says, optionally pre-process the MSI files with the InstallAware Setup Decompressor, so they are in optimum form for InstallAware to recompress them for you
3) Call the MSIs using the (Un)Install MSI Setup command, passing a custom command line if you wish
4) Test for the existence of MSIs using the Is MSI Setup Installed command
5) Perform other system testing using the Get System Settings command

Essentially, you have a very powerful, high-level scripting language at hand, which can get the job done for you any way you see fit. You will even be able to capture the native installation progress of the MSI setups you run, and build your own custom install dialogs as well.
Candice Jones
InstallAware
Home of The Next Generation MSI Installer
Get your free copy today - http://www.installaware.com/

Return to “Non-Technical”