Evaluating 6.0

For all your non-technical questions.
Fig

Evaluating 6.0

Postby Fig » Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:15 pm

I'm evaluationg InstallAware 6.0 (Build gwinett_sp1.060606), Studio version.

Overall, it is *much* easier to build an installation than InstallShield. InstallAware is a very nice product.

However, I do have a few questions/comments...

1. Whenever I drag/drop a script command into the script within the IDE the script scrolls all the way to the top. I have to re-select the insertion line, re-select the script command, and then the drag/drop works. I read somewhere else that you can just start typing to edit (start?) a line but I haven't figured out how this works yet.

2. The Call DLL function doesn't list the "int" datatype as parameter type. I know ... both long and int are 4 bytes. But it would be nice to prototype the Call DLL function the same way my function is prototyped. Nit picking.

3. What is the "allocated string buffer (MAX_PATH length)" parameter type in the Call DLL Function?

4. The Authenticode signing didn't work in my setup. Is this because I am using an evaluation version? Or should the signing functionality work even in the evaluation version?

5. Can a setup call a DLL that is in the installation media? What 'path' would be used to do this?

6. Is the competetive upgrade allowed if migrating from InstallShield 9?

7. installAware Maintenance packs are released at a 50% discount but minor ugprades are free? What is an example of something that would be included in a Maintenance pack vs. a Minor Upgrade?
... Fig

CandiceJones

Postby CandiceJones » Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:39 pm

Hi Fig!

Thanks for your encouraging comments! Below are my answers to your questions.

1. Just select a line, and start typing on the keyboard! As long as the script editor has focus, this will get the job done for you. An auto-complete combo-box opens up where you can press ENTER to select the closest matching command, or scroll to get to your command. Sure beats using drag-drop for your commands!

2. Sorry about that :)

3. Its a char* which has been pre-allocated to hold 256 characters. Basically, a pointer to a string which has room for 256 characters. Good for use with functions that return string data in variable fields.

4. Why didn't it work? It should work in all versions. Note that if you do have a password protected certificate, code signing may fail - sorry about that :(

5. Yes, absolutely. But how you do this depends on how you add the file to your media. The recommended approach with InstallAware is to add the file as a "Support File" using the Project Manager window, or as a "Creative" using the Creatives visual IDE view. Both are really the same thing. Files added this way to your project are available temporarily only during installation/uninstallation, and are automatically removed afterwords. You can access such files in your script at runtime using the form $SUPPORTDIR$\\myfile.dll

6. Yes, absolutely. You get an up to 33% instant discount with this option, so don't delay :D

7. Yes, minor upgrades are free. For instance, if you purchase 6.0 today, your upgrade to 6.1, 6.2, ... , 6.9 will be free. However, your upgrade to 7.0, 8.0, ... etc. will not be free (unless released within three months of your original purchase - in that case our technology guarantee kicks in, and we give free upgrades anyways). With a maintenance pack, your next version upgrade is free and guaranteed. Please note that maintenance packs are at a 50% discount on the base product cost (and not the competitive upgrade cost). So if you wish to order Studio with a maintenance, you pay $599 for the competitive upgrade from InstallShield, and then $449 for the maintenance pack (called Studio Upgrade at the online store).

Please let me know if you have any more questions!
Candice Jones
InstallAware
Home of The Next Generation MSI Installer
Get your free copy today - http://www.installaware.com/

Tinus

Postby Tinus » Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:13 pm

Fig,

4. The Authenticode signing didn't work in my setup. Is this because I am using an evaluation version? Or should the signing functionality work even in the evaluation version?

what exactly does not work? Do you get any error message?

I use a password protected certificate and this works very well with InstallAware.
A password dialog pops up and I can enter my password.
Martin Rothschink
InstallAware MVP

AxoNet Software GmbH
http://www.axonet.de/products/other-pro ... stallaware

Return to “Non-Technical”