Sending email from installer to indicate success/failure...

For all your non-technical questions.
jon.m

Sending email from installer to indicate success/failure...

Postby jon.m » Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:00 pm

Sorry if this isn't really an InstallAware question -- it may be more of a Windows "Run Program" question.

I want to build a log file during the install, which can be emailed when the installation completes.

I'll need to pull some environment variables out of the system to put into the log files. Will it be best if I build my own utility(ies) for this and wrap it up in the installer?

Am glad there are such methods available in InstallAware!

Jon

CandiceJones

Postby CandiceJones » Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:52 pm

Hi!

You can use the Get Environment command to read values of environment variables on the target system setup is running on into InstallAware variables.

Then, you can use the Write to Text File command to record this data into a custom format log file any time dring your setup.

Finally, you will need to email this file. I think you can use Run Program command in InstallAware with the mailto: value in the target program field, but I am not sure about the rest of the parameters of the "mailto:" text. I am not sure if it lets you directly email with attachments either - so you may need to build a custom program for that.

Alternately, you can just post your results to a web server using the Download File command, maybe that will get the job done for you!
Candice Jones
InstallAware
Home of The Next Generation MSI Installer
Get your free copy today - http://www.installaware.com/

Return to “Non-Technical”